Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 civic problems help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Default 93 civic problems help please

i have an automatic 93 1.6 vtec d16z6 civic and it wont start the kid i bought it off of didnt take care of it at all iv already replaced the battery new alternator new sparkplugs and wireset and a whole new distributor like it wants to start but it wont turn over all the way please help

Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't double post.

I assume you've found the ignition is not firing sparks. First check that the cam rotates when you crank, timing belt could be stripped. The easiest way to check that is to take the oil cap off and watch the rocker arms inside. Also check that the distributor is getting battery voltage on the black and yellow wire both with the key at "on" and at "start". Check that the CEL cycles on and off when you turn the key on but don't crank. The "oil" and "battery" lights on the dash should come on and stay on.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:44 PM

its all getting sparks that what i dont understand we where thinking the fuel pump but i really dont no because like i said its is trying 2 start it just wont turn over

Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM

I'm having the same issue, I replaced the fuel pump yet it wasn't that. Now the cranks are weak and slow. I'm checking the spark plugs later.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM

ya let me kno what happens iv already replaced everything but the fuel pump and if its not that then mayb injectors and worst comes to worst il probly buy a new starter for it

Old 09-26-2011, 08:10 PM

Did some diagnosing with my technician friend, checked the spark plugs, there were oil in it(very bad), went to distributor cap and did some ohm testing. ignition coil is good, then read the ICM(Ignition Control Module) to ECM, Pin 11 & found the ICM is bad so replaceing it tomorrow. The battery was also weak even though all the check lights came on in run position, the horn honked, the lights came on & radio turned on, charged it with a CR-V and it had stronger cranks. I thought it might've been the starter cus of the slow cranks but seems that wasn't the case. Good Luck

Last edited by Quasars; 09-26-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't thread-jack, it's getting confusing.

Both of you should check the timing belt timing and the cylinder compression. One dead cylinder can make a D-series engine very hard to start.

To check the fuel pump, disconnect the return hose which goes from the fuel pressure regulator on the left (driver's) end of the fuel rail to a line on the firewall (which goes back to the gas tank). Loosen the gas cap to be sure there's no pressure in the tank. Disconnect the return hose at the firewall end and direct the hose into a clean container. Turn key on but don't crank. Gasoline should flow out strongly for 2 seconds. Examine the gas and make sure it is clean and not stale. If the gas has gone bad from the car sitting around a long time, drain the gas tank (it has a drain plug) and put in some fresh.

Last edited by mk378; 09-27-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Smile

I did somethine similar, I loosened the fuel line from the fuel rail, switched ignition to on and fuel came out.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 AM

no so my dumbass friend poured alil gas into my intake manifold and my catalac converter clogged up it was ****ing bright red so im getting a new one to day and probly a new intake manifold but other then that my car is running again

Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM

civic is running again =) VTEC

Quick Reply: 93 civic problems help please