Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 Civic Ex Coupe Turn Over Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 AM
HCF Member
Default 93 Civic Ex Coupe Turn Over Won't Start

So I haven't driven this car yet since there was no exhaust or air intake but I have been working on stuff that hadn't been finished after the previous owner painted the car and re finished the interior. After I have worked on things I usually check if it will start and stuff like that to make sure I didn't bump any wires or anything. Recently I got the horn all connected which turned out to be a little harder than I expected. I had to mess around by the interior fuse box to trace the wires, after working on that it doesn't want to start. As far as I can remember that was the only thing that I did that seems like it could cause it not to start. When I turn the key it cranks over strong but doesn't fire much at all. Every once and a while it will have maybe one random fire but that is it. Does any one have any good pointers where to start. I would like to figure this out soon since i just got the air intake and the exhaust today.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 AM

did you maybe bump the harness on the main relay a little loose? or maybe bumped the main relay too hard, causing the 15 year old notoriously weak solder connections to come loose.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Answer the three-step No-Start Drill:

1) Do you hear the fuel pump prime (low humming noise in rear) for 2 seconds when you turn the key to ON(II)?

2) When you turn the ignition key to ON(II), does the CEL turn ON and then OFF after 2 seconds? Or does it instead stay ON?

3) Does each spark plug have spark? Disconnect a plug wire from a plug and insert a spare plug into the end of the wire. With the plug threads firmly grounded on the valve cover, have your buddy crank the engine. You should see bright bluish spark (not weak orangish spark) at the tip of the plug.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I feel like an idiot right after I posted this I changed the plugs and it was fine. It was weird thought it went from running a little ruff to not running at all. I have a question though my car is a 93 ex the previous owner put in a B16A2, and a skunk 2 intake mani, along with a lot of other stuff I installed an apexi ws2 exhaust, should i take it into a shop and have it tuned. It seems like its runnin a little rich, I mean the plugs were pretty fouled that i took out. Is it expected that it should be tuned after modifying it like this. If so how much should I expect to pay

Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
Yeah I feel like an idiot right after I posted this I changed the plugs and it was fine. It was weird thought it went from running a little ruff to not running at all. I have a question though my car is a 93 ex the previous owner put in a B16A2, and a skunk 2 intake mani, along with a lot of other stuff I installed an apexi ws2 exhaust, should i take it into a shop and have it tuned. It seems like its runnin a little rich, I mean the plugs were pretty fouled that i took out. Is it expected that it should be tuned after modifying it like this. If so how much should I expect to pay
are any of the following done to it?
cams
pistons
rods
turbo
supercharger

Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

yeah i forgot about that he put in gsr cams

Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
yeah i forgot about that he put in gsr cams
hmm
i'm not sure if that requires tuning, but i'm sure it probably requires something