Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 civic dx with start a run problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Default 93 civic dx with start a run problems

wife was on here way to work when the car started to overheat bad and lose power. she pulled over turned it off called me.

After it cooled i cranked the car it started but then stalled right after. i kept cranking and flooded motor pretty good.

i replaced battery since it wouldnt keep a charge. After sitting for long while the car will be hard to start but will turn over after cranking on it a little bit. It will run for maybe 10 mins then stall.

while the car is running though i notice a strong gas smell(might be cause i flooded car good and its unburned gas i smell idk).

Also the timing belt seems kinda loose to me. While running i hear somewhat a whinning sound but not very high pitch or anything. I might just be me but the belt seems to be turning slower then normal.

if i give throttle and let off quick the car will stutter and stall if not close to it.

Any advice is very much appreciated. Or if you need more info to help plz let me know. TY in advance for any and all help

Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM

I also replaced the distributor, cap and button and plugs. was having spark issues with the distributor so i replaced it and figured the rest wouldnt hurt since it was past time for them to be replaced anyway. Now there is plenty of spark.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I suspect there is internal engine damage due to the overheating. Take the spark plugs out and see if any of them are wet with coolant or have turned a different color. Also look for white "smoke" from the tailpipe when the engine is running.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:49 PM

2 of the plugs where wet but i think that's from flooding. was gas, not coolant. i didn't notice any smoke coming from my exhaust but ill double check it tomorrow morning though. i think i flooded it pretty bad. when it first starts theres heavy gas smell then it faded somewhat. after it runs for awhile and shuts off. it wont start again till it sits for a good while.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 AM

i got the car started today but wont stay running. there was no smoke out the exhaust but there was plenty of flow of exhaust. so i know its not clogged.

I rechecked all the plugs again. this made 3-4 time. 2 plugs had previously been fouled out with excess gas. however this time only one plug was fouled out with gas. the other had coolant on it. that was not there previously when i checked them.

the car wouldnt start till i removed the plug with the coolant and just placed my hand over the hole where that plug came from. then the car fired right up.

It started to spray water out. It would run for a few then start to stall. i place hand back over open spark plug hole and car returns to run decent.....with the exception of the water spraying out.

Think it might be blown head gasket, cracked head or something. any ideas on what to do next? how or what to check next?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:23 AM

also want to add i keep checking my oil dip stix and there is no coolant on the dip stix. just out of the spark plug hole. Also its the second hole from the left.