Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'92 Civic Stalls Randomly.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
HCF Member
Default '92 Civic Stalls Randomly.

I know this is pretty long but I have to put details.

I have a 92 Civic with 183,000 miles on it which I brought 3 months ago from a used car dealership. The dealership basically sold me a lemon but 3 months later I manage to get my Civic running pretty good other than this stalling problem I have.

About a week ago I drove my Civic to the supermarket(about 5 miles) and everything was fine on the way there..BUT when I returned to my car and tried to start it up..it wouldn't start. I tried 3 more times..it was a no-go....waited a few minutes & it started up with no problem(btw the weather was hot).

This has happened to me about 3 other times in the last week. The car would ride fine..I go to park..come back to the car a few minutes later & it won't start..but will start after a couple of tries.

One time it stalled with the car still cold(in the morning) but started up just fine when I went to turn the car back on again after a few seconds.

THEN today I was sitting at a stop sign & all of a sudden the car's RPMs started going up & down between 900-2000 RPMs then just stalled(died). I started it up right away(within 4 seconds) and it started up with a bit of struggle but it start strong and rode fine on my way to my work(10 miles).

Now throughout all these STALLS the CEL was ON for 2 seconds & went off but that's regular when the key is in the ON position anyway.

This is what's been done so far in the last 3 months in order:

Oil Change
New Main Relay
New ICM
New Coil(for Distributor)
New Distributor Cap & Rotor
Replaced all drive belts(Timing belt as well)
Replaced Fuel Filter
New Battery
Cleaned the IACV
Cleaned Throttle Plate(closed & opened)
Replaced all Spark Plugs
Adjusted Ignition Timing
Flushed Coolant
Flushed Transmission

I really didn't start driving it till all this was done(2 weeks ago), so none of the stalling happened in between each task.

This stalling is really getting on my nerves because I put so much into the car & now it's having a stalling problem.

I'm not sure what to do next other than clean my FITV and maybe even "solder-fix" my Main Relay as some people with stalling issues have, but I don't understand why I would need to solder it if it's brand new. I mean I never soldered in my life, I don't wanna mess up the whole Relay & get a new one.

Last edited by Mecca8383; 05-24-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you checked the ignition switch?

Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

Ok I cleaned the FITV & the IAC..took it for a 10 mile drive & it seems to drive good except for the slight jerk & stops...but that could be air in the coolant..which is easy to get rid of.
I'll still check the ignition switch tho..just to see if everything works.

Thanks You