Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

92 Civic DX Hatch needs ignition assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Default 92 Civic DX Hatch needs ignition assembly

Long story short, my car was stolen, stuff was taken, and my ignition was screwed. Everything is fixed except for my ignition. It had to be drilled so i could drive it home. Apparently the whole assembly needs to be replaced. For I know very little about cars I have decided to come here and ask for assistance.

So, my questions: Can I replace the assembly easily? Is there a guide online I can follow? Can I get the proper parts cheap and easily?

Hopefully I have posted in the correct section.

EDIT: So apparently its more than just the assembly. I am sorry, I don't know what it is called. Thats why I am here :/

Last edited by partyshark; 01-05-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There are three major parts. The white plastic part with big wires is the ignition switch, it engages the shaft in the metal part which rotates when you turn the key. The metal part holds the cylinder, also has a mechanism to lock the steering wheel and also since your car is automatic there is a mechanism where you can't turn it all the way to lock without shifting to Park first. Finally the cylinder is the actual slot where the key goes in, it detects if the correct key is inserted and won't rotate if the key doesn't match.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
There are three major parts. The white plastic part with big wires is the ignition switch, it engages the shaft in the metal part which rotates when you turn the key. The metal part holds the cylinder, also has a mechanism to lock the steering wheel and also since your car is automatic there is a mechanism where you can't turn it all the way to lock without shifting to Park first. Finally the cylinder is the actual slot where the key goes in, it detects if the correct key is inserted and won't rotate if the key doesn't match.
Thanks! So if the mechanism holding the cylinder lock is drilled would the the lock and the thing that holds it be the only things I need to replace? If so, how simple/hard is it?

Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 AM

Problem was fixed. You may remove this. Thanks.