Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Honda Civic SE starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Default 2004 Honda Civic SE starting problem

Hello all,

I am posting here in the hopes of saving myself time, money and agony. I have a 2004 Honda Civic, and the weirdest thing happened today.

I drove my car to the nearest plaza and nothing appeared to be wrong. I went into the store, came back out and to my surprise, the car wouldn't start. I turned the key and all I heard was a consistent clicking noise. This is before I even tried to turn it over all the way to start. When I turned it over to start, the clicking noise got faster. The starter didn't turn at all. No lights turned on in the dash. The radio lights wouldn't turn on. I opened my manual and it asked that I check all of the fuses, which I did. Not one was burned. I was convinced this was an electrical problem. Finally, someone gave me a boost and the car started. As a matter of fact, as soon as they hooked the cables up and I turned the ignition (without fully turning it over), I noticed the radio on, and the normally beeping that I should hear just before I turn over the ignition. The car started fine. Even after it started, I had a feeling it wouldn't start once I shut it off. When I got home, I shut it off and tried to start it again and I was back to square one! Same problem as before! A few hours later I checked my battery cables to make sure there was no corrosion and there was not. Everything was nicely greased and tight. I even cleaned the posts and reconnected the battery and tried to start it again. This time, the battery was completely drained. Only the light that flashes on the CD player flashes, and it's going very, very slowly. The weather outside is perfect, so let's rule that out as a factor in the problem.

Before I'm asked the question, no, there were no warning signs on my dash board about a failing battery or alternator. This doesn't make any sense to me at all. I read something on the net that says something about the Main Relay but I couldn't tell you what the heck it's all about anyways. I have seen some notes about the battery but it seems to be followed by too much doubt. I don't think it's my starter (unless it's warn out inside and it's causing a shortage) or my fuel pump, since the car started fine when hooked up to a booster. Something is up and I really need some help! This doesn't seem like a simple problem.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM

Bump!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Sounds like a bad battery.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Your battery is dead. Replace it.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I had a battery do that once (a "Die Hard", no less). Perfect one minute, stone dead the next. Really sounds like as the others said, you just need a new battery. To be sure the battery is shot, and it's not a bad connection to the terminals, measure the voltage directly at the lead posts.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks guys. I hope it's that simple. I don't mind changing a battery just don't want to change one for nothing!

Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 AM

It was in fact the battery. I changed it yesterday and everything works perfectly. Now that I think about it the battery did show some subtle signs of dieing...but I didn't think anything of it.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Administrator

RonJ is never wrong /thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 AM

Then I know who to ask in the future!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 AM

hey, sound like cool...

Quick Reply: 2004 Honda Civic SE starting problem