Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 civic ex electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Default 2001 civic ex electrical problems

The problems:

1. Brake light remains on
2. A/C does not get cold
3. Power locks do not work (including the key fob)

Everything else seems to be working fine. All three problems happened at the same time a week ago for one day. The following day, all three problems went away. A couple days later all three came back and remain.

The car was just purchased a couple weeks ago and the previous owner (a friend) said he never had that problem.

Also, problems started after I removed the amp and the wires from the aftermarket player. The aftermarket player is still in the dash.

I'm thinking maybe I have to double check the wires behind the player, just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else experienced anything like this.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:28 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2001 civic ex electrical problems

I'm gonna start with A/C first. Turn the A/C and let the engine run for a bit. Pop the hood and find the A/C compressor. Look at the compressor for a min or so and look if it is turning. Check the center of the compressor if it is turning, b/c the outside will always look like its turning but when the clutch engages the center will also turn. For the brake light, it is possible that your brake pedal switch is stuck closed. Goto the brake pedal switch (it should be behind the brake pedal) and check for voltage drop at the switch. You pretty much put a meter across two wires of the pedal switch and check to see the voltage. Here is where it gets tricky, there are 4 wires coming out of the switch, you only want to check the 2 for the brake light. The two you want to chekc are on the top of the connector and they are next to each other. The bottom two are for the cruise control (they don't matter but i want you to be able to differentiate) and there should be a space in between these two wires (for the cruise control). When the pedal is up, there should be 12v at the pedal switch (top two wires) and when the pedal is down there should be 0v at the pedal switch. If it reads 0v in both positions, then the switch is bad.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:30 AM

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I wasn't too clear in my first post, but the brake light I speak of is the one on the instrument panel when the parking brake is engaged. When I put the parking brake down the light remains on.
The thing that gets me is that all three seem to be related somehow as they all happened at the same time and went away(for a day at least) at the same time.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 PM

I just bought a 2002 Honda Civic and the same problem has just started with my car. Has anyone else had this occur or have a suggested fix?
Thanks!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:18 AM

Check this link. This person had the same problem and a dealer fixed it...http://www.civicforums.com/forums/36...l-problem.html