Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 - Battery light flickers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Default 2001 - Battery light flickers

I bought the car used with 98k miles (hardly broken in for a Honda. right?)

When I test drove it, I got a solid battery light - took it in got an alternator replaced. Months pass with no real problems, but I noticed that the battery light will flicker once once in a while. I can't pin down something I can use to reproduce the flicker at will, so mentioning it to my mechanic gets no great solution.

Recently, while driving, the cd player cut off. Then the ABS light came on, then the SRS light. The cd player came back and stopped again. I arrived at my destination and turned off the car. Came back and attempted to start it - clicking, no start. Towed to dealer. They replaced the battery. I asked about the charging system, any codes in the "flight data recorder?" - no. And the charging system tested okay. Within a 1/4 mile the battery light flickers. The next day (hot day, heavy traffic) - the cd player stops (powered off, no clock display), ABS light, SRS light. I called the dealership, spoke with the servcie manager - sounds like the alternator.

The next day, I'm miles from home when the symptoms begin again. I hightail it to the specialty shop where I got the alternator replaced originally - they test an find it to be intermittently charging properly, the alternator is under warranty - it gets replaced for free (yippee!). When I pick it up, within a mile the battery light has flickered already.

A week later on vacation, I take the Civic to the dealership to get them to test drive the car, witness the battery light flicker and immediately plug their probe into the car to get the possible error code. I also get the timing belt replaced, tune up, yadda yadda... I leave it there over night, inviting them to drive it until they see the flicker - they never do. I see it within a couple miles. My wife drives it for a short drive for icecream - she sees it.

It's driving me nervous. I'm going to try to remember to stop in for a probe when the flicker has occurred and I'm near the dealer. But what I want to know is if anyone else out there has seen this flicker; is the car committing slow hari-kiri, or should I ignore it. Is there anyone out there who has an answer?

Thanks for your attention...

Old 04-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Default RE: 2001 - Battery light flickers

My 1995 Civic EX just started doing the same thing. Replaced the battery yesterday and it still blinks. Alternator putting out 14.8 volts and 53 amps according to autoparts store whop tested it.
I need to find the cause also.
Hope someone can help.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2001 - Battery light flickers

check your grounding connections. clean or replace the ground cable, not just at the battery, do both ends. replacing the battery will only verify the connection on the battery end of the cable. a bad ground will make all kinds of crazy things happen. if you don't have a good ground, you can up even burn up a good alternator while it works itself to death. it's my 2 cents..

Old 12-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Talking Long time update

Just looking though old posts; thought I'd update in case anyone needs help here.

I had heard that the stock alternator in this model series was basically under powered. I looked and asked around if there was an upgrade possibility available.

My mechanic suggested that I get a NAPA replacement if it failed again. He had done so for his big Ford truck, and it came with a Lifetime Warranty, which he has never needed to invoke. When my light started blinking again, I had him get one and put it in.

That was 3 1/2 years ago - and no more problems.