Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 civic stumbles on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Unhappy 2000 civic stumbles on acceleration

hi i got a 2000 civic lx with 1.6l sohc and manual. last year i had a simular problem and my wife gave me the car.we bought it new and the car is in great shape. last years i replaced the timing belt, gutted the cat conv, fuel filter,pcv valve, plugs and wires. i got it togehter and found out i fixed nothing. i bought a new dist cap and rotor and it ran like new. 20,000k later or last week i start having the same problem. i replaced the cap and rotor, checked ignition timing, cleaned the iac valve but still it hesitates under acceleration till about1200 rmp then runs fine, now its starting to hesitate during idle. since i gutted the cat the o2 code has been up but no other codes. hoping a good honda mechnic or owner has had a simular problem and could shed some light. the car was my first new car and i would hate to see it up for parts help me please

Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 AM
HCF Member

are you sure the timing is correct? sounds like a skipped tooth to me, especially if the iacv is super clean...

Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 AM

thanks shandles apon taking a closer look the distributor was adjusted by honda dealership maybe cause they were to lazy to rip it apart. anyway yesterday i pulled it apart to find out the timing belt slipped a tooth. got it back toghether put my mags on for summer and headed to car wash. i was runnig excellent but when i got home i thought i would chech the timing again with car a temp but to my horror a nasty ticking in bottom end and i think i have a spun a crank bearing. i serviced the car regularly and was shocked that the 1.6 i have could only last 250,000 km. ive heard of million mile civics and thought mine was one but i guess not. any one know a good imoport engine rebuilder in edmonton alberta. thanks anyways

Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Smile

update on my sick civic any how i go to move it after two weeks of it siting in the street alt light come on, move the car and checked here my alt seized, replace alt my tuner friend comes over we time it and find timing belt streched and slipped a tooth replaced water pump replace new timing belt, got it together and is running strong, maybe if i dont drive it hard this could be a million k civic or aleast 500
253 700 k 2000 civic