Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic with Odd "Brushing" Sound, Can't Figure it Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Default 2000 Civic with Odd "Brushing" Sound, Can't Figure it Out

Hi All,

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX with approximately 170,000 miles on it and recently, it has started making a very strange "brushing" sound that correlates with my acceleration in the car. It normally starts around 2,000 RPMs and continues as long as my RPMs climb but the second I let off the gas, the sound goes away (I have included links to recording of the sound at the end of the post). Along with this, my shifts up (automatic transmission) have become a bit harder but down shifts are normal. I should add that my my check engine light is not on, my transmission fluid was flushed at 110,000 miles and still pink (and doesn't smell burnt), and my transmission fluid is at a good level. I was wondering if you had any ideas about what this sound could be. Is this a job I can do myself? Just for reference, I replaced my timing belt and am hoping to be able to replace this myself.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46194/rec00001.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46194/rec00002.wav

Also, and on the same car, ever since I bought the car, my headlights have burnt out ever 6 months, whether they're installed by the dealership or me. Should I unhook the eyes and clean them?

Best Regards,

Thomas

Old 05-26-2011, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

That sound is strange. I have never heard anything like that before. Doe it happen when you rev the engine in neutral? If so, you can have someone rev the engine while you listen under the hood.

If it's both headlights, there could be a charging problem. Have your alternator checked. Overcharging will burn out headlights.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 AM

I just checked and it doesn't happen when I rev it in neutral.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM
HCF Member

Then it's related to your drivetrain. That could be tricky to isolate.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM

That's scary. I've taken it to two mechanics and neither know what's wrong. One suggested that it may have been engine misfires and suggested replacing the Distributor Cap, Rotor, Spark Plugs, and Spark Plug Wires (which I did about a week ago and that did nothing). How would I know if it was a CV Axle? What are the major parts of the drive train that you'd suggest researching to figure out this issue?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

where is this brushing sound coming from? left front, mid front, right front? does it happen while the car is in park?

The only brushing sound I've heard on my 2000 is the front left and right disc rotor shields rubbing the actual rotor. Don't touch the brakes/rotors after driving as they'll be very hot, just take a screwdriver and stick it through the spokes in the wheel and push the shield back(like towards the middle of the car) away from the disc rotor. Push back in multiple spots for each shield.

If that's not it, I don't know what to say. I know you say you hear it above 2000 rpms, but do you hear anything at all going at ANY speed?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by inthezoneac
where is this brushing sound coming from? left front, mid front, right front? does it happen while the car is in park?

The only brushing sound I've heard on my 2000 is the front left and right disc rotor shields rubbing the actual rotor. Don't touch the brakes/rotors after driving as they'll be very hot, just take a screwdriver and stick it through the spokes in the wheel and push the shield back(like towards the middle of the car) away from the disc rotor. Push back in multiple spots for each shield.

If that's not it, I don't know what to say. I know you say you hear it above 2000 rpms, but do you hear anything at all going at ANY speed?
The sound appears to be coming from the driver's (left) front tire and doesn't happen when the car is in park or neutral. I can't really hear anything at below 2000 RPM but that doesn't mean there isn't something. I don't have alloy wheels so I will have to take off the wheel to do this. What does the rotor shield look like? I'm not sure what to look for when I do this.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 PM
HCF Member

Name:  dustshields011.jpg
Views: 3222
Size:  137.4 KB

when you take your wheel off you'll see that picture which is showing just the dust shield. Yours will have the disc rotor in front of the shield. The shield sits behind it. Basically the shield sometimes warps/bends and starts to rub on the rotor. Simply push the shield back on the bottom, bottom/left, left, top/left, and top points and that "brushing" sound should go away.

I think I've had to do this twice on my car, once I hear it I know immediately what it is.

If you're running on stock wheels/hub caps can't you just pop the hub cap off and stick on a screwdriver through the little holes? Save yourself some time.

Last edited by inthezoneac; 05-28-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It could also be the wear warning squeaker spring on the brake pad. Try pressing the brake lightly (for the purpose of the test only, keep your other foot on the gas) and see if the noise changes or goes away. You should take the wheel off regardless and check the pads for wear.