Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2 Sets of New Headlights Burned Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Exclamation 2 Sets of New Headlights Burned Out

I replaced my headlights about 3 weeks ago in my 1997 honda civic dx. They worked fine until yesterday when both the low beams burned out. The high beams worked for 15 more minutes and also burned out. So i picked up a test light to make sure the the switch on the steering colum was not faulty. The fuses for lows right and left and highs right and left were fine. I also unplugged the bulbs and tested the plugs which also had power. I replaced the 30amp fuse under the hood just in case. They guy at pep boys let me exchange the lights with no receipt and I installed them without touching the bulb this afternoon. They worked fine. I drove the car tonight and halfway through the drive the lows burned out. Turned on the highs and not more than 30 seconds later they burned out too. I had 1 old bulb in the car to replace one light. It got me home and did not burn out. Both sets that burned out are Sylvania High Blue lights ($30) a set. Not cheap stuff. My question.... Is it a short or a surge? Replace the alternator where the regulator controls electrical output?
Thanks,
Max

Old 06-26-2009, 03:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

SIMPLE..... you touched the glass bulbs.

DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS.... the oil from your hands will create hot spots on the glass and they blow really easily!

so just change the bulbs and NEVER touch the glass on the bulbs only hold it by the plastic wire plug. if you touch the glass by accident then use some alchole and wipe the bulbs down good and let dry before you try again.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:54 AM

I was wearing latex gloves the guy from pep boys gave me when I opened the package and installed them.

Last edited by Maxxfli; 06-26-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. More than 16 volts is definitely overcharging, in the 15's isn't so good either. You will have short life of bulbs, the battery, and other electrical parts.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Maxxfli
My question.... Is it a short or a surge? Replace the alternator where the regulator controls electrical output?
Originally Posted by mk378
Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running. More than 16 volts is definitely overcharging, in the 15's isn't so good either. You will have short life of bulbs, the battery, and other electrical parts.
Yeah, I too was thinking that the problem might be a bad voltage regulator in the alternator.