Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Honda Civic Ferio Automatic, feels like is skeeping gears.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Arrow 1998 Honda Civic Ferio Automatic, feels like is skeeping gears.

Hi All,
I just bought my first Honda Civic, it is a 1998,(I know it's old), but it is a beauty, i love it, the only issue that I have with it is, that, when the engine is cold it seems like it is skeeping 1st or second gear, and the car jumps, when i push the gas, acceleration seems to be hasitating untill it reaches 1500rpm and that's when the car jumps or skeeps gear, i was doing a lott a resarch on the internet lately, and I cannot believe that ,this issue it is extremly common, yet there is no answer to it whatsoever, i realy hope somebody could help me with any ideas regards what could cause this, here are full specifications of the car:

1998 Honda Civic Ferio, 1.5 liter engine,Automatic, Japanesse import.

i like to thank you all in advance for any suggestions regards this issue.

Thank you.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's sometimes hard to say if it's a transmission problem or an engine problem. If it runs rough and slows down / refuses to go, the engine may be misfiring. The most common automatic transmission problem is slippage, where when pressing hard on the gas pedal, the engine revs up a lot (smoothly) but the car doesn't go proportionally faster.

In case of a misfiring engine you should start with the "tune up" ignition parts which are subject to wear and preemptive replacement. Those are the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:47 AM

Thank you mk378,

i will try that, and hopefully that will do, one thing that i forgot to mention ,is that the RPM it is not stable, at any speed, only when accelerating, the RPM needle it's mooving up and down all the time, i read some people say could be the oxigen sensor, anyhow i'll start with your advice, and i'll see how it goes.
if anybody else has any advice or experience regards this issue, i would realy apreciate all comments.

Thanks again mk378.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Arrow 1998 Honda Civic Multimatic -rpm , idle & gear issue(automatic)

Originally Posted by stalin11
Hi All,
I just bought my first Honda Civic, it is a 1998,(I know it's old), but it is a beauty, i love it, the only issue that I have with it is, that, when the engine is cold it seems like it is skeeping 1st or second gear, and the car jumps, when i push the gas, acceleration seems to be hasitating untill it reaches 1500rpm and that's when the car jumps or skeeps gear, i was doing a lott a resarch on the internet lately, and I cannot believe that ,this issue it is extremly common, yet there is no answer to it whatsoever, i realy hope somebody could help me with any ideas regards what could cause this, here are full specifications of the car:

1998 Honda Civic Ferio, 1.5 liter engine,Automatic, Japanesse import.

i like to thank you all in advance for any suggestions regards this issue.

Thank you.
o.k, so here it goes again:
I have replaced the spark plugs, rotor, & distributor cap, thank you for the advice mk378 realy apreciate it , but unfortunately it did not help at all with the issue i have, however i have noticed that somehow, the car has a bit more power than before.

also at the moment, when the gear is in drive position, the engine is idleing hard betwen 0 & 1000 rpm, and i have noticed that the lights are dimming when that happens, anybody any idea what's causing this? i will clean on the weekend the iacv, as i heard it might help with the idleing issue.

also:
when accelerating, the rpm needle goes up and down constantly no matter what the speed is, slow or fast, highway or not, whenever the needle moves up and down the car reacts acordingly, power gain...power loss it is extremly anoying, does anybody know about what could cause this?

and finaly,
stil fels like skipping first and second gear when at 1500rpm,

Please help if you have any knolege or experiance about the listed problems,

Thank you.