Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 Civic EX 1.6l

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Question 1998 Civic EX 1.6l

Just got this civic, live in California and have to get it smogged, however it has headers on it and can't be smogged. I am looking at getting replacement exhaust manifold and tail pipe in order to pass smog. I went the JY today and realized I needed more information: What years are compatable? Will exhaust off off 2.2l also fit or does it have to come off of a 1.6l? Where are the part numbers located on the manifold? How many O2 sensors are there on the OEM system.
This is the first Honda I have owned, so just getting into how they are put together and which models interchange with others.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-31-2011, 04:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There were no 2.2 Civics. I think that system is entirely different. Any 1996 to 2000 1.6 parts should fit directly and be smog compliant. You want the EX system with the cat converter under the car. The lower models have a combined cat/manifold which though if you find a working one it should be smog legal, it is lower performance and expensive to replace. The system has two O2 sensors, one on the manifold near the engine and one in the outlet end of the cat.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:21 AM

@mk378: Thanks this was very helpful. So in order to find parts for this EX model I have to pretty much stick to Civic EX's, Accords and other type of Civic's are going to be a little bit different?!? Of course the JY I went to had all kinds of Accords and very few Civic's. Will have to keep looking.

What is the best way of telling the year of the car at a JY? Most of the ones I was looking at didn't have any labels left on them. After a while they all started looking the same. Still haven't quite figured out the VIN sequence well enough, but that maybe the only way to do it. I still have to look at the markings on the trunk to figure out the different models. Any advice on this would help.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Ok went to the JY on Monday. Walked through the "mile of cars" looking for a Civic EX with a D16Y8 engine. Couldn't find a single one. Found a D16A6 and was going to try that one, but the manifold was already cracked.
Kept looking, but the only thing I could find was off of a D15 engine; looked like it would work.
Went to put it all together today and found it was close, but not close enough. The manifold bolts right up, no problems. However the down pipe is right up against the bottom of the oil pan and is about two inches from reaching the cat.
Also had grabbed the brackets off of the D15, with hopes of using them on the D16. Not so much, they didn't even come close to fitting.
So I am back to where I was.

Are the D16 and D15 manifold different lengths? Or do I just need to get the correct down pipe and run the D15 manifold?

After rereading you post: I pretty much have to stick with a D16 engine with the cat located under the car?!? I don't want to switch to the other style.

Is there an easy way to tell the year of the car? I am used to looking at the sticker inside the door, but the Honda's I have looked at don't seem to have any there.

Is there a listing somewhere identifying what makes had the D16Y8 engine installed in them?

I know there are alot of questions here, I am still trying to figure out all this engine coding stuff.

Thanks