Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 Civic A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Default 1997 Civic A/C problem

I have a 1997 Civic with 260,000 miles. It runs unbelievably well with very few problems, until now. I will genuinely appreciate it if you can help me fix this one at home.

I have not used the air conditioner in 2 years, until 4 weeks ago when local temperatures started reaching the 90s. The A/C ran well until yesterday when it started blowing warm air.

I checked the refrigerant level with a guage and found it low so I recharged it, following the instructions to the letter and added R134 until the pressure reached 55 psi, as specified for the ambient temperature of at least 85 degrees.

Afterward the A/C cooled the cabin like a dream come true and I left it overnight, happy.

This morning, it started to blow warm air again and I checked the refrigerant again. It seemed low, so I added more R134.

While doing so I naturally had the hood open. Because I did, I could hear the compressor switching on and off every 1 -3 seconds. Hundreds of times.

I've driven the car around all day hoping the compressor would level out at highway speed. It hasn't.

My neighbor suggested that, because I hadn't used the A/C in two years, it might need oil. So I added oil via the same port for adding refrigerant.

This has helped only very slightly. That is to say that the compressor now switches on and off every 3-5 seconds, cooling the cabin a little bit as a consequence of running just for a few seconds.

I don't think the oil helped and that this might be just a coincidence. But what can I do next?

I have a Haynes manual that tells me to test the relay for continuity, and to check that the compressor clutch engages.

I have a voltage meter, but cannot find the relay. The photos in Haynes don't match my car in this instance and I can't figure out how to begin checking the clutch in the compressor.

It's imperative that I fix this as well as I can by myself. I don't have the $500that it will surely take to have it repaired at a garage.

I have tools and motivation, and I can do whatever it may take to fix it if someone can point me in the right direction(s).

Will appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you in advance

Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 PM

i have a 97 d16y7 hatch and the only thing i found was the fuse under the steering wheel for a/c. i think its just a 15amp fuse.
i dont have that issue but my a/c is not working. Im guessing its the compressor because everything else works fine and from my 7 hours of research, thats what i concluded with.
ive had the hardest time finding any diy's on the matter.
one person said it was illegal because you have to have proper equipment for refrigerant because of having to drain system and not having it go out into the environment.
but i have no idea if its true.
also very willing to work on my own car.
plus i found a compressor low miles for $40. and wanted to jump on it today but like i said having a hard time with this issue.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 PM

^^^oh and there there is a 20amp condenser relay in the fuse box under the hood.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If you have to recharge every day there's a leak. Don't do anything with the refrigerant charge unless you use a real gauge set that shows both pressures (about $75 at parts stores). Rapid cycling is usually because of excessive high side pressure due to overcharging and/or too much oil or condenser fan not working. The good news is it seems likely that you don't need a new compressor... yet.