Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1996 Honda Civic Sedan 4 Door 5-Speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Post 1996 Honda Civic Sedan 4 Door 5-Speed LX Shuttering/Jerking

Hello,

So first off , I'm new to this forum. I would just like for you to know that , and I already searched the forums for my problem and looked through the stickys.

My car is a 96' Civic Sedan 4 Door, has 160k on it, transmission fluids full. Engine Oil is good, Engine coolant is good, Power steering fluid is good aswell . Car has never been driven real hard, and drove great about a week and a half ago...

About a week ago, I was driving in the snow, the roads were really bad , so I was driving slow. Although the weather, the car was working fine. As I was driving, the Check Engine light flashed on. I was startled, and kept driving knowing I was going to be home soon. The car seemed to be working fine even though the Check Engine light was on. I shook it off, knowing that the Check Engline light could mean many different things from censors to gas cap not on correctly.

A few days later after driving my car occasionally since the storm, my car starting acting up. My problem is that when I start from a stop in first gear, and I'll have low RPMs, my car will start shuttering and jerking very slightly. Mind you though that this does not happen every time. One day it will be fine and sometimes it will happen in the run of a day and than stop. When I start from first the car jerks, and shutters, it seems as if its not getting enough gas and has not nearly enough torque. Sometimes I'd give it excessive gas and it will stop , and seems as if the Transmission catches the gear completely, again mind you, ill floor it and it will not always stop and will still shutter and have very small jerks. Not only does it shutter in first but it will do it in every gear up to fourth (mostly when shift right into gear) This problem does not happen when I am rolling , I can completely lay off the gas and it will stop, and than I give it gas and the small jerks and shuttering start again.

I can still drive it and this problem happens about 40% of the time
I drive my car. I would just like to know if there are any easy solutions or if any one has had this problem and know the solution.

Thank you very much and your opinions/input and are appreciated.

Last edited by Jaackis; 11-29-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 PM

From what I have been reading around online is that the problem could be a the TPS (Throttle Postion Sensor) Could this be my problem and would the CEL come on for that ?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Since the CEL came on, there should be a code stored, check that first.

Misfiring (shuddering) at heavy throttle and low rpm is usually an ignition problem, such as bad spark plug wires. Your case doesn't quite sound like that though.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM

There should be a sticky or DIY somewhere for getting the stored codes using a paper clip. That, or hit up your local Auto Zone or other part store. They usually check them for free.

My first thought was also ignition. At 160K miles, and it being a 96, you might be due for some plugs and wires.