Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1994 honda civic a/c troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Default 1994 honda civic a/c troubleshooting

I have a 1994 Honda Civic and had the compressor, the drier, expansion valve, the thomstad, the relays all replaced last year and the A/C has been working grade but now the A/C Clutch started disengaging after 1 to 2 mintes of the A/C running it goes on and off and on & off again and again. This was the same problem i had when the shop said that i need to get all this fix last year please help thanks Alfred

I check all the connections, i tieden the belt, i put in a can of Speedy Charge 4 in one it has 11oz refrigerant,3oz of oil, full system uvdye, and seal leak stop in it. I look under the car at the compressor as it ran and the only thing i can see is the clutch engaging and disengaging.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

sounds like you lost the freon and the the compressor is trying to build pressure with nothing in it i would try to go do a rechargwith some dye c if u have a leak some were

Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's supposed to cycle on and off slowly (several seconds at a time) after the evaporator gets cold. Check that the big line from the firewall back to the compressor is getting cold. If it is, you have a problem with reheating the air on the way to the vents because the heater control valve or the linkage is not working.

If the line is not cold and the compressor is cycling rapidly, causes for that are commonly overpressure (condenser fan not working) or engine idles too low that the ECU kills the compressor to prevent stalling.

Low refrigerant will not cause the compressor to cycle. If there is enough for the compressor to engage in the first place, it will stay on constantly though it will not get cold.

The miracle in a can does a world of harm. Realize that there's only supposed to be 4 oz of oil in the system to start with. Stop leak will stop up your whole system except for the leaks.