Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1993 Civic stalls without warning.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 06:07 AM
Default 1993 Civic stalls without warning.

Howdy,

I need some help with a 1993 Honda Civic EX coupe with a 1.6 and a 5spd. Most of the history of this car is unknown, but here is what I do know.

The car is a theft recovery. When I first viewed the car it was not running. The instrument cluster was missing and a few body panels were missing. I was told it needed the chip or computer to make it start.

I made an offer on the car as it stood, and it was accepted. When I returned a day later to pay the car was up running. They put an instrument cluster for an automatic in and a new computer or chip in.

I test drove the car and it ran and drove great but the instrument cluster had the check engine light on. I was told that this was on because the car had not had the Tach in the new cluster. They called their Mechanic over who quickly removed the cluster and snipped a wire and the check engine light went out.

For three days the car ran great, although it sputtered once after I started it but quickly cleared after I gave it more gas. I figured It had been stored a while so I gave it a shot of fuel cleaner, changed the plugs and everything seemed fine.

But yesterday after exactly 100 miles that I drove the car it stalled. I was driving at 55 in 5th gear and without warning it simply stalled. I could downshift and the engine would rev but when I would give it gas nothing would happen. I thought I was out of gas but the tank showed 3/4 of a tank.

I pulled over to the side of the road and let it sit for 5 minutes. I tried to start it and it ran good although when I hit 3rd gear it seemed to lose power a bit. I was able to get to the nearest gas station just a short distance away and filled up. It took only 4 gallons. So I know the gauge was not wrong.

After filling the tank I started the car, it idled fine but as I started to move hesitated slightly then cleared. I ran it to my brothers home 20 miles and it ran just fine.

On my way back home it stalled again without warning. it did not sputter it simply stalled. After pulling over and waiting for two minutes the car started and ran flawlessly 20 miles home. But then again the car stalled on me just as I pulled into my garage. How convenient.

Can anyone provide a clue as to what might be the problem? I read that it could possibly be the coil or distributor. But I really don’t want to just start changing parts.

Thanks for all your help

Old 09-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Default RE: 1993 Civic stalls without warning.

im not a civic guru but my sences tell me its the computer. u said they put one in for an auto? whell it stalling out might be the computers "safety switch" to stop the car before it would blow up . corect me if im wrong but an automatic has 4 gears not five. if this sound like crap just tell me. but its my thoughts to it. better than nothing right?

Old 09-13-2005, 04:35 PM

actually the cluser is for an automatic. THe ECU is from an unknown donor.

The car now sits in the driveway and will only crank. I smell fuel, so it must be spark right?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2005, 04:38 PM

I had a problem simliar to that, and all i had was a fuel delivery problem...maybe its in your gas lines...maybe the gas tanks dirty...I would check those things first...I would check the tank first since you don't know how long the car sat up...

Old 09-13-2005, 04:59 PM

yeah sounds like fuel delivery or ECU....

Old 09-13-2005, 07:44 PM

ok I have tested for spark by pulling a plug and cranking it I have no spark. On the plus side I have fuel getting to the cylinders as the plugs were wet.

If this is the wrong ECU why did it work at first? can it be reset to get me to a mechanic?

Another stupid question; could it possibly have jumped time?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2005, 11:41 PM

let me tell you my first thought was the dizzy hondas are known for it. next from the sounds of it you have a d16z6 sohc vtec i believe but dont quote me you need a p28 ecu, look on the pass side kick panel and peel the carpet back look at your ecu and see if its the right ecu.
now when you turn on your car does the check engine light come on and then go off, or is there no light at all. cuz if he snipped the wire leading to the light thats why you dont have it anymore. you can do one quick check on the dizzy , pull off your cap and grasp the rotor try to wiggle it if it moves more than just slightly that could be your problem mine did the same as yours and the dizzy was the problem.if your timing jumped a tooth your car would probaly be shot if you jumped ignition timing(i.e. bad dizzy) it would just run like crap till the ecu advances or retards your ignition curve.
hope to be some help
if you didnt get the message check your dizzy!

Old 09-14-2005, 04:36 PM

OK I just went to the libary where they have free access to ALLDATA and i found out the ECU I have is the wrong one. I have a 37820P06A50 and I need the 37820P28A01. This is why the engine light was on I'm sure of it.

Could the wrong ECU have done any damage to the engine?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2005, 10:34 PM

i dont think it would of caused any problems but you may have flooded the motor so check your plugs or just replace them and the ecu and you should be good to go

Old 09-16-2005, 05:36 PM

Hey guys. I still need help here.

I replaced the ECU with the correct unit P28A01. and I placed a bulb for the engine light on the cluster that was missing (Wire not snipped.) With the old ECU the light was on all the time. With the New ECU the light is out but the car still wont start. No Spark and i can smell fuel. My new plugs are starting to foul Any thoughts?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 1993 Civic stalls without warning.