Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1991 Honda Civic Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Default 1991 Honda Civic Starting Problem

Hi Folks,

I have a 1991 honda civic, it starts, it runs good. The problem is when youshut it off it dosn't want to start right away, it has to sit for a few minutes before it will start again. I saw something earlier about a "Main Relay" could that be the problem?

Thanks for the Help

Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 1991 Honda Civic Starting Problem

I assume the engine cranks fine but doesn't start. At those times when the engine won't start, turn the ignition key to ON but don't crank the engine. If you fail to hear the low humming sound of the fuel pump in the area below the rear seats (you need quiet to hear the sound), then the main relay or fuel pump could be bad.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Also when you turn the key on but don't start, the yellow engine check light should come on for about 2 seconds and then go out. If it stays on that usually means the main relay is bad.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM

The engine cranks fine, runs like a champ. It's just when I drive it for a while and park and the engine is off for a few minute it cranks turns over strong just won't start, and if you wait for about 5 minutes it starts fine.

I checked the Check Engine Light, turned the key the on position it came on for two seconds then went out.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check whether or not, during the bad 5 minutes, you can hear the fuel pump activate for a few seconds.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM

This sounds just like my problem I posted about an hour ago titled "Fuel Pump problems". Does this sound like your problem?

"Having problems with my girlfriends car heard that this is the place to go for some help. So it's a 92 civic HB 1.5l. It runs great but sometimes the fuel pump cuts out while driving but mostly on start up, sometimes it runs and sometimes it doesn't. Usually when the car is cold it starts fine. I turn the ignition to on and sometimes you can hear the fuel pump running and sometimes it won't run. The fuel pump sounds normal, when it works, not loud or anything. I took it out today and ran it off the battery sounds normal and spat fuel every which way. I also tried soldering the main relay, it didn't fix the problem so I just replaced it with a new one. Still not fixed. I took apart the ignition switch, it looked a little worn but nothing serious. One weird thing is that when I turn the ignition switch to the on position, to listen for the pump, I can hear the shift lock relay clicking on and off, it's an automatic. Maybe a short or something? I'm at a loss of what to do next. A little off topic after this problem started I also changed the distributer cap and rotter along with the air filter. The car runs great except for the fact that the fuel pump kicks in and out for some strange reason. Please help and thanks I'll keep updating as the help arrives."

Nobody has replied to my post yet. Kinda wondering if it's the same thing