Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1991 Honda Civic Idel Problem, Sounds Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Default 1991 Honda Civic Idel Problem, Sounds Bad?

Alright I got a 1991 Honda civic with a 1.6LZC swap if that makes a difference in helping me with this matter
Anyways once the car gets close or at operating temperature the engine cuts off and the idel drops and raises back up. I was told about the mass airflow sensor or something like that needs to be replaced or cleaned. It would be great for any help with this and some tips or instructions on how to fix it! P.S the car also has an electrical overload problem if that may cause the bad idel as well.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Default RE: 1991 Honda Civic Idel Problem, Sounds Bad?

Another solution can be the idle air control valve. That is what primarily allows the engine to idle properly regardless of the weather. I had the same problem with my 88, the difference is that I still have the original 1.5 in mine, but it can still be the same fix. Mine from Honda cost about 350.00 If possible, try a junk yard or parts place. Find a used one, clean it well and give it a try. It is basically a sensor that goes bad.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:06 AM

I just had the same issue on my 97 civic DX. It was the idle control valve on my car. The idle control valve is located on the front side of the throtle body. Mine had 2 small 3/8ths cooling hoses that flow coolant in and out of the valve. The fastest and easiest way to do it was to remove the air cleaner housing, the 2 coolant lines going to the idle control valve, the electrical connectors, throttle cable. There is going to be about 1/2 a cup of coolant that will leak out when you remove the 2 small hoses. I picked up a new idle control valve from Honda for about $155.00 and bought a new throttle body base gasket. The idle control valve is held in place by 4 small screws. I would also recommend buying the 2 small rubber hoses from Honda because they are preformed and regular hose could kink because of the bends they need to make. It took me about 1 hour to replace.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:21 AM

I posted this too fast, after you unplug everything you want to unbolt the 2 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the throttle body to the intake manifold. Its alot easier to replace the idle control valve with the throttle body removed from the engine. If you try to remove and replace the valve without removing the throttle body it will take alot longer. After I installed the new valve I had to drive the car for about 20 mile for the idle to stabilize.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:52 PM

I took the throttle body off and found the ICV and took it off, there were no coolant hoses hooked to it, maybe cause its an older engine... Anyways opened it up and cleaned it up with throttle body cleaner, put it back on and it still did it, so I loosend it and adjusted it and it stopped doing it then the engine light came on for some reason... So I tightend it up and the idel was perfect, the code told me it was the throttle position, so I played with the throttle a bit and wiggled the sesor hook-up and it went away... But the weird ideling came back...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM

Alright so I am pretty sure I fixed it, I loosend the ICV just a bit so I can adjust it that few degrees of adjustment, once the car started ideling bad I moved it to the other side and it went away, problem solved.. I hope Thanks for all your help guys!