Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1991 hatch wont start. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM
HCF Member

i lined up the timing right. and went threw rotations to make sure it does not hit valves and pistons and stuff. could it still be off?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

i looked into the carberator, the top valve never opens, i believe that is the choke so why is it not open, even with someone holding it open it wont start so its something else on top of that. i just want this car to run =(

Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

The backfire sounds like timing. Its very easy to think you have it right, butare a tooth or two off. I've done that before. Oil in the plug wires will give you a crap ignition. Clean those or replace. I recomend replacing. The rotor cap is $5-$10. If the tips are green replace. I doubt this is keeping you from starting.
How are you determining tdc? Hope you get it running soon.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

ok to last post, i got top dead center when i took the head off and replaced it. the bottom end has a V shaped "sight" on the block and a pin on the crank shaft pully. i lined these up so that should be right. should... i guess the bottom could require a full rotation because it spins at twice the speed of the top end... the cap tips are green on the inside, i tried to scrape it off a little bit, i might buy a rotor cap and new plugs. also if you know about these cars there is a self dignositics built in. i get 16 flashes. that means a fuel problem from the gas tank to TB. maybe my fuel pump is bad. anyone have a thread on how to replace that? i checked my wires 11,000 ohms resistance, which is perfectly fine, maybe i should just clean the spark plug tubes really well. i have off of work tomorrow and i get paid tomorrow, hoping to get some stuff done. one last little tidbit. when i drove the car home, it would stall out every once in a while, i know its bad but i would be driving like 45 and would slam it in second at about 35 to get it started again. then i got extreme backfires about a mile from my house and it would not start again. does this change anything about the backfires?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:49 AM
HCF Member

well i guess i feel stupid now. the timing was off. there are three marks right next to each other on the cam shaft pully, these are to time fireing or the spark plugs or something. then about 10-15 degrees later there is the mark to line it up mechanically. so i got that right. then i redid the spark plugs for 1-3-4-2 timing order with my distrubitor set correctly. lastly i took off the entire intake manifold and the injectors on top of it and took it all apart and cleaned it. at about 6:45 on the forth of july. my civic started for the first time in over 6 months. thankyou for all the help guys. sorry im to ignorant to think that my timing was off. but really thank you. time to start a new thread on what im doing to my civic now lol.