Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1990 civic, stuffed up fuel system. bad bio fule?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 AM
Default 1990 civic, stuffed up fuel system. bad bio fule?

hi i hav a 1990 civic with a b16a engine nd its not workin. i saw a web page about using old cookin oil as bio fuel and thouhgt that i myte try it owt. to begin with i just put sum in the gas tank, i think about half oil and half petrol jus to see how it wuld go

wel it ran for a bit nd started to smoke and run ruff then died and now it wont start. my mate told me the injectas fule pump and filta will all need 2 be replacd.

plz help me coz i dont no much abowt cars and need it to get 2 work. im hoping its simple to fix cos i cant aford a meckanic to fix it.
thanks

Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

please re-post in English, not "street" or "cool" talk. That would help

2nd, without even checking into it, I can tell you that home-made bio-fuel is probably gonna be a bad idea. Your buddy is right - you'll likely have to replace fuel filter for sure, maybe injectors and possibly fuel pump. Spark plugs might be fouled and need replacing as well.

Before you go replacing stuff though, siphon as much of that bio-fuel out of the tank as you possibly can, and re-fill with fresh gasoline. Add a bottle of injector cleaner, or fuel system cleaner (either one will do). Check your spark plugs, if they're coated with a bunch of goo, then replace them. If your car runs fairly well, consider yourself lucky - and replace the fuel filter as soon as you can.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

Wow it looks like you might want to invest in alot of fuel treatment to clean the lines out of any residue and Bio Fuel can be ran in Diesels yes but not gasoline engines its too thick to flow through the system properly and yes a new filter is in store for you and yes you need to get as much as possible out of your tank as you can then keep and eye on how the engine runs

Old 09-10-2010, 04:32 AM

I can't tell if this is a troll post of if you just made a SERIOUS mistake.

There is a drain bolt for the gas tank. You'll have to get under the car and probably pull the cover off the tank to see it. Drain that mess out. Don't let anything spark nearby.

You'll have to replace the fuel filter for sure. It's also possible that the pump is clogged now. As they said, a fuel system cleaner is a must.

Bio-fuels are not something you can just dump in the tank and go. Usually bio-fuels are meant to go into diesel engines, not gasoline engines. They work in very different ways. There are a few things you have to change on an engine to allow it to run on bio-fuel.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:13 PM

bio fuel= diesel
ethanol= gasoline

flush fuel system for sure

Old 10-03-2010, 05:47 AM
HCF Member

To avoid mis-filling fuel with wrong fuel, we use placards on aircrafts. "AVGAS ONLY" or "JET-A ONLY'. B16 can use one one of Avgas placards with AV part scratched.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

With Bio Fuel you most likely plugged the fuel filter, maybe the pick up screen. maybe injectors. Yea you have a problem & work in front of you. FLUSH the SYSTEM.
Where are you from? I think from reading your post you are from out of the USA. Am I right.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

Which country call it "petrol" instead of "gas"?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
HCF Member
Unhappy

Hello,
Like all have said a gas engine is not going to run on this fuel. Get a new fuel filter for sure,drain that stuff out of the tank, add some good cleaner,and hope for the best. Keep us posted on the outcome. Good luck. 2010civiclx

Old 10-03-2010, 03:59 PM

this looks like a good place to dump this info, please move if there is a better place for it. My GF has a 97 civic, I'm not on here much, mainly when I need to read up on her car.

E85 test

I had her slowly put part E85 in
50% E85 50% 91 oct = ran very well, mild boost in power, no issues
from there kinda kept raising the amount of E85, when running all E85, there is some cold starting issues, mainly only when it was below about 80 deg out (live in NM) it's nothing major just rough running, which caused check engine light to come on, but after a few min of warming, runs good, and really smooth, she says it has a noticeable boost in power and noticeably smoother, also said had a bit better MPG.

Just though I would share that with you guys, so if your eco friendly or just want a mild boost in power but don't want to drop the money for 100 oct race fuel this might be a option for you, wouldn't recommend it if you live in a cold climate I wouldn't go past 50/50

now off to find a replacement for the injector that the coil went out on, if you have one cheep to sell please let me know.

Quick Reply: 1990 civic, stuffed up fuel system. bad bio fule?