Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

09 Civic; splitters for rear audio connector?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Default 09 Civic; splitters for rear audio connector?

[I also posted this in the audio/video area but figured it is also on topic for tech chat]

I have a 2009 Civic. I also have a high end subwoofer setup that has gone with me in my last 3 cars (I'll never sell it, I made it custom for the speakers).

I'd prefer to leave the stock connectors in place so if I ever sale the car I can easily remove the box. Therefore I'm looking for a splitter for the grey-ish molex-ish plugs that connect to the rear stock speakers so I can run a second set of audio inputs to my amps.

Q1. What is that plug style called?
Q2. Is there such a thing as a splitter for it?
Q3. Where can I order one?

TIA

Last edited by sshrum; 04-06-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 PM
HCF Member

I am somewhat confused, but in my stereo setup i have only power cable and speaker cable and some RCA's. If you are referring to splitting the speaker wire you can just cut and split it but i dont think it will sound so good. If you are talking about the RCA cables, so you could have 2 amps or something, you need to have pre-outs wired into the head unit, if the head unit is even capable of that. And i wouldnt recommend splitting the power cable, depending on the gauge idk but i just wouldnt.

also i think you may be referring to the cable to the speaker from the door, which i think is a newish feature, personally i would just cut it and use speaker wire, or newer speakers might have a converter. but if thats what you are talking about you can just throw the cable back on with some tape if you ever sell the car.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:30 PM

The speakers are the rear deck speakers that are mounted in the trunk, not the door.

The plug only uses 2 wires, POS/NEG for the speaker. The wattage on the stock head unit is not going to do any damage to the amps+crossovers...they can handle that. I get enough volume out of the stock speakers, I just like a little more bump when I listen to my tunes.

I could handcraft something to split the lines, I was just looking to see if there was a splitter accessory for that connector to make it a bit more clean.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

To make adapters yourself, you should be able to buy the speaker end of the plug readily aftermarket but the car end you'd need to cut out of a junked car. I'd just solder wires onto the stock speaker itself then use the connector of your choice. They could be unsoldered or just cut off close when selling the car. You really only need to hook up to one of them since for any properly-produced music, the bass is the same on both stereo channels.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

i am confused as to where you are trying to run this new set of wires too, but they sound generic, i would assume any audio shop or radio shack would have the pins and you can just wire it, or use crimps, it should just be speaker wire.