Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 civic no power hardly/ no air conditioning...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Default 03 civic no power hardly/ no air conditioning...

civic has no air conditioning, just blows out warm air, my car idles likes its about to shut off (sounds like a switch kicking on and off), and when on "cruise" on the fourlane its like my car is going back and forth, kinda like im hitting the gas then letting off, my head will go back and forth, and when i try to go up hills of any sort, i have to push the gas to the floor, like pretty much im trying to go up a hill and it wont go and right before i almost come to a complete stop on the hill it will all of a sudden rev up to the max and throw my head back like it all of a sudden catches. I have no mods but an intake and ive had it for YEARS.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM

not to mention ive taken it to like 3 shops to try and get fixed but no one seems to fix it, the last person just said my problem was the cabin air filters and that had nothing to do with it...and also my engine light is on..

Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Whenever the light is on that means there's a code to be read, and that will be an important clue. Parts stores will read the code for you for free (except maybe in California).

Is it manual or automatic?

Also does the low idling occur all the time, or only when you try to use the air conditioner?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:58 PM

automatic, and mainly i notcie this problem when its extremely hot outside thats when my car acts its worst, (bad idle, hot air, clicking switch noise when idling or cruising on the fourlane, and now as of today a rattle when cruising as my car has a splurge of power back and forth when on cruise) so im almost certain i have my air conditioning running until it kills me with warm air and i turn it off, but the problem continues..

Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 PM

just got back from getting the engine light checked out and it read 2 things but they both said the same thing and that was "auxillary emission controls", and i also tested just no it seems to run pretty normal whenever i turn the air conditioning completely off, when i turned it on is when all the problems started happening again.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

if there is a problem with the emissions, then likely that will be part of your problem.

As for the AC, it almost sounds like the clutch on the compressor is set too tight or something. Def wait for someone smarter then myself to give you more info. Very strange that having your AC on would have that dramatic effect on your car. However, even turning on the AC on my car I'll notice the engine has to work slightly harder.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the condenser fans don't work, the air conditioner will drag down the idle, cycle on and off, and not cool much at all. But only with the car sitting still or moving slowly. At highway speed it would work OK.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:41 PM

well..i know the air doesnt work at all when im sitting still...just blows out warm air...basically like my heats on lol...and it makes a clicking sound like every 5 -10 seconds while im sitting there like my car is about to shut off then kicks back in, its so wierd, but when im driving the air will kick in and out SOMETIMES, like when i speed up or rev up on the fourlane it will get cool and actually work for like 3 minutes then go back to normal...i dont know whats wrong...and for some reason no shops do either, not even honda, ive had it there twice and they still cant fix it...