Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 DX Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 07:54 PM
HCF Member
Default 02 DX Instrument Cluster

I have a 2002 Civic DX with the stock instrument cluster without the tach, and I have been looking around to put a tach in. Talking to a friend he said it would probably be a lot easier and cheaper to just get a different instrument cluster on ebay that has a tach and install it in my car. Searching on the forum I have found a couple of posts that say it is possible just to pull the instrument panel and replace with another, kinda plug and play, but I have a few questions.

Is it really just like plug and play - remove one and replace with the other, or are there other things I should know? Like, what about the odometer - they are digital, so how does the odometer get it's info? If I put a new cluster in, will the miles stay correct? Also, is the DX pre-wired for the tach, or will I have to do some extra wiring? Also, will an 03 civic instrument cluster fit in my 02 dx? I found one on ebay for real cheap and I want to grab it, but if it doesn't fit, it won't really help. Also, is 03 the year they started with the blue lighting, cause the picture of the panel looks like it (an added bonus for me cause I wanted to change it from the ugly orange in the 02 DX)...

Thanks for your assitance!

Old 05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 02 DX Instrument Cluster

So, I purchased a cluster from a 01-02 Civic LX with tach. Reading around some more and after calling my local Honda dealer, I've heard that all I have to do to get to the cluster is remove the black bezel by removing the two screws on the top of the bezel, then there are around 4 screws and some clips holding the cluster in. Sound right?

Now here is where I am worried... While talking to the dealer, I asked if just plugging the new cluster in if my odometer will stay the same. He said he thought it reads from the cars computer and that it would be fine, but wasn't sure so he put me on hold and then after talking to someone else he came back and said that it would reset it to 0 miles !! Then I've read on here that you have to remove the original odometer and replace it on the new cluster and everything should be fine.. So what's right?! Will it work plug and play / will it read from the cars computer; will it reset to 0 miles no matter what; or will I have to switch the odometers?

Also, if it is a switch, has anyone done it with theirs? If so, can you give a quick step process on how to do it? I am hoping to get this done this weekend..

Thanks for the help..

Old 04-07-2007, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

haha sorry guys i hate to bring this up out the dead, but if anyone has any more info on the milage when you swap instrument clusters, i would love to hear. 02 civic coupe dx thanks

Old 04-07-2007, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

What ever is one the new gauge reading is what you'll start at...