The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

xbox is junk...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:24 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: xbox is junk...

ORIGINAL: Patrick
...but im also not willing to spend a ton of money on modding it, just to get it to work right. but if you can help, im more than happy to listen.

who say anything about spending money, you can pratically do it for free.
the are 3 way in modding an xbox, two of them can be done for free.
*softmod- it requires a memory card and one of the three games (original splinter cell not the silver edition, mechsault or 007 nightfire i believed.
*tsop flash- requires to open xbox and solder 2 points and doing ^^^ that same procedure to flash the motherboard chips with new bios, its the equibalance of buying a modchip, however you can only do it on xbox version from v1.0 to v1.5, and you probably have a new version so thats out the question.
*buying a modchip, cheapest one are 15 dollars but requires you to do some soldering or you can spend 40 in buying a solderess one.

anyways if you really decide on modding it or want to know all the things you can do on a modded xbox, pm me.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 PM
HCF Member

Patrick, how do u like Forza? I'm on level 40 now (bought it couples weeks ago, didnt play much). I dont have my xbox anymore but I can access the saved game in the 360 and it doesnt allowed it copy it (works w other games). Yeah. That's error is the drive cant read the disc. You just have to clean the disc and try couple times. I found out that it's the disc problem more than the drive most the times. My xbox read the halo 2 game every single time but get that message for some certain disc.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:29 PM
HCF Member

your going to keep on having that disc error problem always unless you change the dvd drive to a different one[&:] or like I said, you can modded it and save the whole game to the hardrive (can only fit one game on the stock hdd, you need a bigger hdd if you want to save more, 120 gigs you should be able to save about 45 to 50 games and probably a movie)

and its that a # 11 on the other screenshot?

Old 07-17-2006, 11:32 PM
HCF Member

errors codes
Tutorial written by : Superfro

Description:
When you attempt to boot, a 'you need service' message comes up, and has a LED style number on thetop left hand corner. Here is what they mean.

Disclaimer:
This information is a believed to be correct, should be as close as it gets;
Also:
Bootloader stuff you should never see, since if it fails kernel doesn't boot. (thus you see no message)

Code Who sets it - Description

0 - any - No error (duh)

1 - bootldr - Unknown exactly, something to do with checking the motherboard

2 - bootldr - Eeprom check failed

3 - bootldr - ??/not used

4 - bootldr - Ram check failed

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (retail bioses require the hd to be locked)

6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD

7 - kernel - HDD timeout

8 - kernel - No HDD found

9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)

10 - kernel - DVD timeout

11 - kernel - No DVD Founnd

12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)

15 - - ??/not used

16 - dashboard - Other files to do with dashboard / dashboard settings (specific dashboard error)

17 - - ??/not used

18 - - ??/not used

19 - - ??/not used

20 - kernel - The dashboard was attempted to load and failed; It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it (for some reason) needed to be noted that the dvd passed the challenge/response authentication

21 - anywhere - This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag

In closing:

21 was the highest number I could find, I dont think anynthing is past that. And for the unknown ones, I couldn't find anyreference to them at all, I don't believe they are used.

Greets to everyone (who is contributing) in the homebrew scene.

Tutorial written by : Superfro

Old 07-17-2006, 11:35 PM
HCF Member

Ok, I can't tell you how to fix your problem, my suggestion would just be to exchange it for a new one. I can however tell you what my experiences were working in a video game store for 5 years:

As far as faulty systems go, yeah, XBox had the most returns. PS2 came in a close second, and Gamecube you hardly EVER see break down, unless it's due to user retardation. Anyone can say whatever they want about Nintendo, but they know how to make their **** unbreakable. (Of course there are exceptions to anything. I don't want to hear anyone say "My system lasted blah years..." that's great. Go work at a high volume retail store and tell me what you see.)

Still, Xboxes can also be fine... it just depends on your luck of the draw. If you get a replacement you'll probably be fine. My first one I replaced a couple months into owning it, the replacement has lasted at least two years. My ps2 I had to replace twice. But my most recent one has survived the test of time, and being dropped.

As for the memory card thing: Programmers of XBox games don't compress their save data because they don't need to. Most people use their hard drive. Xbox memory cards are usually used for people wanting to take their Halo info to LAN parties. Sports games take a TON of space. I don't remember racing games, but it must be similar. I remember a couple Tony Hawk games didn't fit either. Anyway, most of the time memory cards aren't necessary for Xobx owners like they are for PS2 owners.

If it means that much to you, look online for aftermarket memory cards that can hold more data, get a new xbox and transfer your stuff. Or just get a system. Statistically, you should be ok. And, don't buy used. Games+use=ok. Systems+used=dumb.

Anyway, good luck Pat. It's really not that bad of a system, but it does have it's issues. They all do. (Computers > any console, anyway.)

Old 07-17-2006, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Little Black Hatch

Still, Xboxes can also be fine... it just depends on your luck of the draw. If you get a replacement you'll probably be fine. My first one I replaced a couple months into owning it, the replacement has lasted at least two years. My ps2 I had to replace twice. But my most recent one has survived the test of time, and being dropped.

the thing is most xbox's sooner or later are going to have that same dvd problem, their dvds are crap especially the ones from the first version.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Administrator

the only thing that im really concerned with is my game file...im going to call a gaming store and tear into the manager...ive bought two "refurbished" xbox's from them, and both have turned out to be junk.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

I agree, I think they are complete junk. Sell it in ebay and buy a part for your car.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator

i dont waste money on my car....otherwise, i would.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Patrick

the only thing that im really concerned with is my game file...im going to call a gaming store and tear into the manager...ive bought two "refurbished" xbox's from them, and both have turned out to be junk.
I know you feel like you gotta rip into someone, but I assure you that not only does the manager hate it as much as you do when he sells broken ****, but he gets people chewing his *** for things he can't control all the time. Do you have any idea how much it sucks to get used **** and be forced to sell it, not knowing it it's going to work or not? No, you don't. Not unless you've done it. Retail sucks enough as it is. Don't be one of those people who make it worse. If you want to take it up with someone, take it up with the company's corporate office. (Now, I'm assuming that you're buying from a Gamestop or EB Games type store...but this applies to any place where the manager has no control over anything. I.E. Pretty much any chain of retail stores)

The only way to avoid this is to just suck up the 30 or so bucks you're saving buying "refurbished" and buy a new system. That's just the way things work.

Quick Reply: xbox is junk...