The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

wireless network

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 10:05 AM
HCF Member
Default wireless network

dear dear, i dont know how to start. i will try to make this very simple. i have as of right now 3 working pc's at home, 2 on 2nd floor 1 in basement, and i would like to set up a wireless network since only the 2 pc's on the 2nd floor have internet but they are wired. now my question is what kinda of router should i get? i know a bit about computers but it's always good to ask for information before doing stuff on your own when you are not sure...

1) i was thinking on getting a wireless router 802.11g with boost since i do not want internet to be lost on space plus i play bf2 online.

2) my uncle has a plug in usb thingy that works as a card, and seems to work fine.

3) my brother thinks that going from wire to wireless is not good since it wont be reliable.

4) what you recomend, router-cards-hardware?

5) my own pc its a p4 but only 512ram 2.66mhz video card 9000 radeon nuff to play bf2. sound card is sound blaster 24 bit. i actually play on my bro's pc. should i get a new pc or upgrade mine?

6) about cost, i could buy some stuff on ebay, but im willing to spend a reasonable amount to have a nice home set up.

7) should i get security for my wireless net since neighbors might want to be hitchhiking on my signal.

8) you guys and your civic's ROCK.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:45 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: wireless network

I would recommend getting a Linksys Wireless N router. N is the newest wireless technology out there. I use Linksys for my routers and access points and i recommend them to everyone. I've had my router for 5+ year and its still working strong. You could buy a cheaper router (like D-link or another generic company), but the quality isn't as good. My friend's D-Link crapped out on him about a month ago after about a year of use and my uncle always compaines about the signal on his D-Link router. As far as cards go, for the desktops i would get PCI card and for the laptops i would get PCMCIA (thats if they don't support wireless already). As far as the wired to wireless goes, I'm at my university right now (has wireless) and i usually get between 10 and 50 mbps which is pretty good. A wired connection would be faster, since they go from 10-100 mbps but the problem is going to be running the wire. If you can run the wires, definatly run wires to the desktops. I would still go with wireless for the laptops since that way you can move them around if you want to. I would strongly advise you to get security for you wireless network b/c u don't want other ppl stealing your bandwidth. Its actually fairly easy to set up security, all you have to do is set up a WEP or WPA encryption setting in the router as well as putting the passcode in the software for the wireless cards. I have my router in the basement, but that is b/c 2 of my PCs are in the basement and the other is a laptop with wireless. As far as your computer goes, i would get more ram (1-2GB) and maybe a new video card. 2.6 GHz isn't the fastest but its pretty good.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Cat Fuсker

MAC address resolutions when it comes to security...and almost any cheapo router will work for you. If you ever need to use VPN don't buy a linksys as you'll have a PITA setting it up for VPN...if you don't need VPN I would get a linksys...usb cards are OK unless its a motorolla...if it is a motorolla than it's junk. PCI cards are cheap and take up less system resources.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

In the process of setting up my wireless network, I killed 3 small childeren

Old 10-02-2006, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

I would recommend getting a Linksys Wireless N router. N is the newest wireless technology out there. I use Linksys for my routers and access points and i recommend them to everyone. I've had my router for 5+ year and its still working strong. You could buy a cheaper router (like D-link or another generic company), but the quality isn't as good. My friend's D-Link crapped out on him about a month ago after about a year of use and my uncle always compaines about the signal on his D-Link router. As far as cards go, for the desktops i would get PCI card and for the laptops i would get PCMCIA (thats if they don't support wireless already). As far as the wired to wireless goes, I'm at my university right now (has wireless) and i usually get between 10 and 50 mbps which is pretty good. A wired connection would be faster, since they go from 10-100 mbps but the problem is going to be running the wire. If you can run the wires, definatly run wires to the desktops. I would still go with wireless for the laptops since that way you can move them around if you want to. I would strongly advise you to get security for you wireless network b/c u don't want other ppl stealing your bandwidth. Its actually fairly easy to set up security, all you have to do is set up a WEP or WPA encryption setting in the router as well as putting the passcode in the software for the wireless cards. I have my router in the basement, but that is b/c 2 of my PCs are in the basement and the other is a laptop with wireless. As far as your computer goes, i would get more ram (1-2GB) and maybe a new video card. 2.6 GHz isn't the fastest but its pretty good.
Holy crap, I was gonna recommend that router too!!

Anyways, I can tell you right now, D-Link is NOT reliable and they have horrible customer service (talking from experience here). You'll definitely be better off with Linksys.
Also, don't forget, you get what you pay for.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

stay far, far, far away from linksys if you're a wireless noob. they're tech support will make you want to kill people in a distant land...

get a belkin.

and don't even think about dsl if you have linksys. lol.

but do whatever's cheapest like what most people do, and then come back here and post how your stuff doesn't work like it's supposed to. tech help stories always makes me chuckle. lol.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:18 PM
HCF Member

I'd say your brother is right. Wire is the best, since it's ur house and u have the right to do so, do it if you dont want to be interfered when you play game. It might cost you some time but you wont have to worry about it later on. I use a D-Link router (works like a champ) for my laptop (wireless) and my Xbox is wired to it.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:56 PM

In the process of setting up my wireless network, I killed 3 small childeren
i think i second that, i was ready to punt that thing out the window, but now it works so now its all good

Old 10-02-2006, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

I had to talk to Linksys tech support once when i was an uber-noob with networking. I didn't really have a prob, after i put down the phone my internet was working fine. It was on a DSL connection. I don't see why everyone has a problem with wireless networks. I set one up for my friend on 2 computer and one laptop with encryption and it took me like an hour and i didn't have any problems.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

i set my father's wireless connection up and it took less than 10 minutes.

of course, i bought him a MAC MINI with a built in airport card. lol.

i turned the computer on. the airport card automatically kicked in and found the wireless signal from the new belkin wireless router. and that was it...

Quick Reply: wireless network