The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Why the thought of alternate fuel is useless.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: Why the thought of alternate fuel is useless.

ORIGINAL: PirateX

[
ORIGINAL: Roto
What we need is safe nuclear power plants and a way to eject nucler waste somewhere...like the moon which nobody cares about.
Hahaha - hilarious! We've spent enough years not caring about the earth, why not put our waste elsewhere now?
Why not? There's absolutely no reason not to do it. If it was me I'd go as far as burning the stuff in the sun.... no harm there.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

Don'ttell me about nuclear meltdowns. I possibly know more about them than you ever could find out Not to mention the fact that I lived driving distance from Chornobyl for many years and I will be going to survey the site next year...
Interesting, are you an inspector? (That's not a sarcastic question, I'm genuinely curious)

I'm not claiming to know that much about nuclear reactors, though in statistics they appear to be pretty safe with a very low rate of accidents.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jamned

Don'ttell me about nuclear meltdowns. I possibly know more about them than you ever could find out Not to mention the fact that I lived driving distance from Chornobyl for many years and I will be going to survey the site next year...
Interesting, are you an inspector? (That's not a sarcastic question, I'm genuinely curious)

I'm not claiming to know that much about nuclear reactors, though in statistics they appear to be pretty safe with a very low rate of accidents.
Chornobly blew up because it was built by russians.... lol. j/k, ....although my german nuclear chem professor always did mention in class that russians scientist would always do a crappy job[&:]

Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gonzo

Belive me, I'm not saying that I'm a treehugger, either. Pave the rainforest for all I care. I'm just saying that oil will eventually run out. The way it looks now, sooner than later.. And when oil is gone or too difficult to produce, the way will live will drastically be changed.

I don't know if anyone has heard of the oil embargo of 1973 (killed the musclecars) but it was estimated that the U.S would use up most of their oil by the 80's and then all of a sudden we had enough to waste. I'm not saying we are not in trouble, but i don't think it's as bad as they say it is. We can't get the oil we would like to from the middle east and the oil from the U.S is drying up, but there is still the oilsands in Alberta, Canada. Saskatchewan is supposed to surpass Alberta in a decade for oil sands production. Plus they have sea bed oil, like Hibernia oil fields off of the Newfoundland coast. It's not gonna dry up in our lifetime. I think they are just trying to scare us into investing in alternative fuels. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's not the solution.

Hydrogen is still in it's early stages and they have to figure out a way to make it safe in a collision (explosion!). I think that for the mean time, diesel is an effective solution. Everywhere but the US and Canada, car companies have been thriving off of diesel engine productions, even BMW's and Mercedes Benz's have multiple diesel engine options. Even our own beloved Honda has created numerous diesel engine options for their entire line-up. It doesn't cure our dependency for fossil fuel, but it reduces it dramatically. Who cares if it's a little louder, rougher and stinks. Try driving a diesel and see for yourself, you would be pleasantly suprised by the output and peppiness of the compression ignition engine. Even better is the fuel consumption, which is easy to achieve numbers in excess of 50mpg in a compact car with no special tricks or driving habit changes (plus the homebrew of bio diesel). North America needs to open up their eyes to the global stage and see what works. Keep the alternative fuels in development but start creating more deisel options for the modern consumer, cuz it ain't just for hippies anymore.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:22 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: koots

ORIGINAL: Gonzo

Belive me, I'm not saying that I'm a treehugger, either. Pave the rainforest for all I care. I'm just saying that oil will eventually run out. The way it looks now, sooner than later.. And when oil is gone or too difficult to produce, the way will live will drastically be changed.

Hydrogen is still in it's early stages and they have to figure out a way to make it safe in a collision (explosion!). I think that for the mean time, diesel is an effective solution. Everywhere but the US and Canada, car companies have been thriving off of diesel engine productions, even BMW's and Mercedes Benz's have multiple diesel engine options. Even our own beloved Honda has created numerous diesel engine options for their entire line-up. It doesn't cure our dependency for fossil fuel, but it reduces it dramatically. Who cares if it's a little louder, rougher and stinks. Try driving a diesel and see for yourself, you would be pleasantly suprised by the output and peppiness of the compression ignition engine. Even better is the fuel consumption, which is easy to achieve numbers in excess of 50mpg in a compact car with no special tricks or driving habit changes (plus the homebrew of bio diesel). North America needs to open up their eyes to the global stage and see what works. Keep the alternative fuels in development but start creating more deisel options for the modern consumer, cuz it ain't just for hippies anymore.
In the bay area, diesel is way more expensive than premium gasonline. It's almost at $5.00 a gallon.[&:]

Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 PM
HCF Member

It's like that everywhere, but the fuel consumption part is what makes it so great. No matter what the chassis or vehicle class you put diesels in, it will deliver more torque and fuel economy compared to the gasoline counterparts. In some cases it can give you great off the line performance due to the low torque peakinherent inthe diesel engine. It's not the solution, like i said, but it's more economically viable for the masses as of right now. If you use ethanol it creates less heat energy than gas or diesel, which will hurt performance and fuel mileage, plus it costs alot to manufacture. I just don't see it as the bright shining light at the end of the tunnel. Electric cars have some merit but i don't think they could work for everyones needs, neither will any of the future fuels in development. I would like to have hydrogen be the way of the future, but until it becomes safe and economical, i will vote against it.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: jamned

I'm not an inspector. I'm just part of a small group that is interested in monitoring the migration of the so called "active particles"around the Chornobyl zone...also we monitor the amount of radioactive crap that leaves the zone. You have no clue how many units of machinery have left the zone that are highly radioactive... Also some morans made a business of reselling things like bathtubs and other commonly used materials from the zone. The reason I'm for nuclear is because most seriousaccidents are now over 20 years old...more than enough time to learn the lessons and build better power plants.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Snail'n Admin

Does this mean youre gonna be growin a second head gene?

Old 04-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: GReddy_Civic

Does this mean youre gonna be growin a second head gene?
I already got four hands and I'm going after you, Trent... beware the rage of glowing commie...

Old 04-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Snail'n Admin

im more worried about that hammer

Quick Reply: Why the thought of alternate fuel is useless.