The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Why the thought of alternate fuel is useless.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: Why the thought of alternate fuel is useless.

believe me, Gene (roto) knows all about chernobyl

Old 04-24-2008, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness
I don't think Ethanol is the answer. Ethanol is made from corn. People eat corn. Using ethanol to make fuel will mean there is less corn to eat and will therefore raise food costs and further hurt the economy.
^+1!

Additionally - how pathetic is it that; with all of the starving people in this world; we are trying to use food as fuel.

ORIGINAL: Roto
What we need is safe nuclear power plants and a way to eject nucler waste somewhere...like the moon which nobody cares about.
Hahaha - hilarious! We've spent enough years not caring about the earth, why not put our waste elsewhere now?

As far as I'm concerned, the answer is about a) alternate fuel sources, but (MUCH more importantly) b) CONSERVATION. The days of gas guzzling Humscalades need to come to an end!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

Well....I think the main problem with oil and all this is the fact that all the people in automotive industry own oil stock, all the people in the oil industry own automotive stock, and people of the air resource board own stock in both. Its a huge circle that keeps feeding it self. My geology teacher said about 1/2 of the worlds oil supply is still left and there is still a trillion dollars to be made in oil. I belive that. The problem right now with oil in the US is is that our dollar is falling there for imported oil is going up. Kinda sux.

Just falls back to our government. Im ready for a new president.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Electricity is not made eclusivley by oil and gas, it is also made by wind, hydroelectric, solar and nuclear sources. We need to move the production of electricity away from petroleum based fossil fuels into renewable sources.
While it is true not all electricity comes from oil and gas,those types of generators are the only ones that can supply electricity on demand and then shut down until needed again.Hydroelectric and nuclear are about tapped out for now, unless you want a nuclear plant next to your house and are willing to bury the waste in your yard.Wind and solar are not dependable enough for on demand use, but can supply to the grid to help.

The reason grain prices are rising is still related to corn. As American farmers convert acreage to corn to make more money, there is less other grain being grown, thus raising their prices as well. An example being soybeans. Most soybeans are now being grown in Argentina and Brazil where large chunks of the Amazon are being cut down to grow beans destined for the US.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Hailchristian

Well....I think the main problem with oil and all this is the fact that all the people in automotive industry own oil stock, all the people in the oil industry own automotive stock, and people of the air resource board own stock in both. Its a huge circle that keeps feeding it self. My geology teacher said about 1/2 of the worlds oil supply is still left and there is still a trillion dollars to be made in oil. I belive that. The problem right now with oil in the US is is that our dollar is falling there for imported oil is going up. Kinda sux.

Just falls back to our government. Im ready for a new president.
Agreed. The price of oil is far from a supply/demand relationship.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gene J

While it is true not all electricity comes from oil and gas,those types of generators are the only ones that can supply electricity on demand and then shut down until needed again.Hydroelectric and nuclear are about tapped out for now, unless you want a nuclear plant next to your house and are willing to bury the waste in your yard.Wind and solar are not dependable enough for on demand use, but can supply to the grid to help.

The reason grain prices are rising is still related to corn. As American farmers convert acreage to corn to make more money, there is less other grain being grown, thus raising their prices as well. An example being soybeans. Most soybeans are now being grown in Argentina and Brazil where large chunks of the Amazon are being cut down to grow beans destined for the US.
Nuclear power isn't tapped out. You really exaggerated about nuclear power plants. I don't know any city (in california) that even has a fossil fuel power plant next to it. You don't want to live next to a power plant no matter what it uses to produce fuel. That goes for solar and wind, as well. It'll be windy or otherwise very hot.

Nuclear power plants absolutely can supply electricity on demand. They must control the nuclear reactions, and there's several different ways to achieve this (which accounts for some of the different types of nuclear reactors). An unmoderated nuclear reaction is only used in nuclear warheads.

As far as nuclear waste goes, that's a somewhat valid concern. You're not going to be burying it near any city. If you'll recall, Bush signed a measure in 2002 opening up the Yucca Mountains as a storage area for nuclear waste.

You're also forgetting about another power source--coal. Last I checked, coal produces more electricity than any other type of energy in America. America also has very large natural coal reserves, and with clean coal burning techniques, you can clean up the pollution output quite a bit.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jamned

Nuclear power isn't tapped out. You really exaggerated about nuclear power plants. I don't know any city (in california) that even has a fossil fuel power plant next to it. You don't want to live next to a power plant no matter what it uses to produce fuel. That goes for solar and wind, as well. It'll be windy or otherwise very hot.

Nuclear power plants absolutely can supply electricity on demand. They must control the nuclear reactions, and there's several different ways to achieve this (which accounts for some of the different types of nuclear reactors). An unmoderated nuclear reaction is only used in nuclear warheads.

As far as nuclear waste goes, that's a somewhat valid concern. You're not going to be burying it near any city. If you'll recall, Bush signed a measure in 2002 opening up the Yucca Mountains as a storage area for nuclear waste.

You're also forgetting about another power source--coal. Last I checked, coal produces more electricity than any other type of energy in America. America also has very large natural coal reserves, and with clean coal burning techniques, you can clean up the pollution output quite a bit.
Either you have not done your home work, or you are purposely misinterpreting my comments.The president mentioned in your post will be out of office shortly. Only then will some meaningful work be done to solve our energy problem.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 AM
HCF Member

I'm pretty sure the oil has some regenerating form. There's oil in the US, but it's never touched and as long as the mantle inside the earth is normal, we'll always have oil, although we may need to go to new locations to get it.

but until there's an alternate method of fuel or when God strikes down everyone involved in the rediculous gas prices, they'll go up and people will be forced to sell their gas guzzlers, buy a bike or motorcycle.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM
HCF Member

Either you have not done your home work, or you are purposely misinterpreting my comments.The president mentioned in your post will be out of office shortly. Only then will some meaningful work be done to solve our energy problem.
Well, I agree that Bush isn't going to help our fuel problems. My main point was that your statement about generators is incorrect--see below.

While it is true not all electricity comes from oil and gas,those types of generators are the only ones that can supply electricity on demand and then shut down until needed again.
Again, coal and nuclear power plants can both supply electricity on demand and shut down some systems until necessary again. Nuclear power plants alter the uranium or plutonium fission rate with control rods, which absorb neutrons that would otherwise contribute to more fission reactions. When demand increases, control rods can be removed from reactor cores to increase the number of neutrons available in the reactor. This increases the rate of fission reactions.

Hydroelectric and nuclear are about tapped out for now, unless you want a nuclear plant next to your house and are willing to bury the waste in your yard.
I guess I read this comment too literally. My original question still stands, though. Given the pollution output of any fossil fuel power plant, who would want to live near any of these kinds of power plants? If you want electricity, you have to accept some form of pollution in your area, unless you happen to live near a viable site for for renewable energy. This doesn't mean burying nuclear waste in the soil near you. That isn't practiced in America (though if you have proof, I'd be interested in seeing it).

Old 04-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: jamned

Roto: there have been 2 major nuclear meltdowns at power plants ever. There have been 8 minor ones
Don'ttell me about nuclear meltdowns. I possibly know more about them than you ever could find out Not to mention the fact that I lived driving distance from Chornobyl for many years and I will be going to survey the site next year...

Quick Reply: Why the thought of alternate fuel is useless.