The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Who here does their own work on their car

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Who here does their own work on their car

everything that I can do myself I will do or have my grandpa who is a mechanic help me.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Solid_Snake

I do all the work myself, or with the help of my step dad, who happens to be a mechanic

i replaced the CV axles myself, but the only thing i don't know how to fix are the engine itself, transmission, and the drum brakes [:@]
Drum brakes... My sworn enemy. I hate them but i've done drums several times before. In autoshop last year we took apart old engines (mine was a Ford V6). We pretty much go them down so that the only thing that was left was the block and everything else was in our lockers. And then we put the engines back together. We were the last ones done cause some1 stole our pistons. I don't think that actual engine work is that hard, its just the vacuum and wiring that kind of intimidates me.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 05 civic

I do all the work i can... But there is no way in hell im putting my turbo together without a mechanic, to many things to F-up

Not true. You can do it. Its so easy. Save urself hundreds and just do it urself. All ya need are some wrenches and time....beer never hurts either.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:15 AM
HCF Member

nobody touches my car but me --the only thing i cant do on my own is a front end alignment

Old 03-21-2006, 07:10 AM

I do all the simple things myself but i wont mess with major engine components, tranny internals, and fuel injectors/rail. Since I dont have a garage i dont do anything to my car during winter. Learned alot from my dad, hes a semi truck repair man but he knows his way around cars too. Ima gunna slap a semi turbo on the vic and hit mad amounts of boost 100+ psi

Old 03-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

...I also do all my own work. My friend Theo is always on site though as well. Never hurts to have an extra set of hands when you're all the way under your car and can't reach the tool box, haha.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Pete
Not true. You can do it. Its so easy. Save urself hundreds and just do it urself. All ya need are some wrenches and time....beer never hurts either.
im not to worried about putting some of the parts in... its the fuel management and ecu stuff im worried about.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:27 PM

i take care of all the work on my girls car. that way if something gets fudged up i can't blame anyone other than me.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:08 PM
HCF Member

Um Yea well I'm kinda split down the middle here! See there has been 3 pair of hands under the hood on my jeep since I got it in '98...the guy that put my exhaust on, the guy that rebuilt my tranny and MINE...Now my Honda I just got...I just don't have the space anymore, aside from oil changes and such...

Old 03-21-2006, 10:58 PM
HCF Member

i do everything my tools allow me to do. so basically no alignments, no a/c charging, no extreme body work.

Quick Reply: Who here does their own work on their car