The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Who here does their own work on their car

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Default RE: Who here does their own work on their car

i swapped my own engine, did my clutch, changed brakes, installed poly bushings, new cv shafts, neon lights, lift kit (on my jeep) lowered my car. the only thing i don't do is change my oil, it is not worth my time.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:41 PM

I do all my own work with the exception of electricl.Well I just installed my first car stereo the other day but...Anyway manny tranny's (huh!manny tranny's sounds like some underground **** or something) are easy as long as u have the book for them auto tranny's....AHHHHHHHHAHHHHHHAHHHHH! BANG!!!(bullet in the brain).I have yet to do cv joints or halfshafts any one done that if so pm me with any advice or instructional material u might have "89 civic 1.5l 4spd

Old 03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

when i get an EG im going to be doing all the work myself except the boring/sleeving. im shipping that out to get it done.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

I do everything I dont need a special machine for, like coolant flushes, alignments, tire mounting, machine work, and ATF flushes.

I hate opening trannys too, but this summer I might be rebuilding mine, but I have a pretty good guy to do it if I dont want to burn the extra time. I know he can get it done in a day or two, but I know i might take a few weeks to learn it. maybe ill do one of the SOHC trannys I have sitting around for practice.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

I want a engine/tranny for practice. I have way too much free time and not enough stuff to do.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

I work on my car with a couple of my friends. If its to tough like any interal parts ie. crank shaft, cam shaft.... anyhting like that its going to the shop. I just got my carbon fiber hood and tein hood dampers today and already installed them. It took 10 minutes for the hood and about 15 minutes for the dampers.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

i WANT to do all my own stuff, but i don't haev the tools for alot of the stuff.. i plan on doing my own oil changes in the next couple of weeks, does anyone recomend something for draining the oil into??? i don't have a oil drain thingy... but this summer i am moving back home to PEI, so i will have full access to an auto shop and can probably start doing all my own stuff

Old 03-20-2006, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

does anyone recomend something for draining the oil into???

I like this kind, since it has a resevoir beneath it that once the oil is into, it wont spill.

[IMG]local://upfiles/436/5317502DFB8440DDBBC78CA18EA613EE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/436/8EA5CCFA628F483FAB6C999E715D21D3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2006, 08:33 PM

I do all the work myself, or with the help of my step dad, who happens to be a mechanic

i replaced the CV axles myself, but the only thing i don't know how to fix are the engine itself, transmission, and the drum brakes [:@]

Old 03-20-2006, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

I do all the work i can... But there is no way in hell im putting my turbo together without a mechanic, to many things to F-up

Quick Reply: Who here does their own work on their car