The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Where did the term "rims" come about?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Default RE: Where did the term "rims" come about?

Yeah, I know some of it still goes on. I know on Hall Street in St. Louis, racing has been going on for at least 30 years. The Fast and The Furious infected that area over the last few years, but every once in awhile the muscle guys go down there for a night. The only problem is that somehow, news of these events seem to seep onto the internet and all the aluminum wing crowd shows up and ruins it. That's why I say that the internet killed street racing.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Administrator

i remember when it was amazing to see an "import" (i.e. anything with a non V8) at the track, and when there was, it was almost always fast...at least in the 13s...now..ugh...in my class back home, i bet half of the compacts there run in the high 16s or slower....but they all have at least the cars cost worth of things that dont add any speed...

Old 04-25-2005, 11:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

i remember when it was amazing to see an "import" (i.e. anything with a non V8) at the track, and when there was, it was almost always fast...at least in the 13s...now..ugh...in my class back home, i bet half of the compacts there run in the high 16s or slower....but they all have at least the cars cost worth of things that dont add any speed...
ahh the sweet 16s. I'm kinda embarrased to say, but that's what my humble BMW runs []

Old 04-25-2005, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: jdmekb16

ahhh the good old days. before there were "performance wings" and "performace body kits" and "performance rims". if you have something that decreases the velocity of the air around your vehicle (aka park bench) and something that looks like a snow plow on the front, and is not sleek at all, and WHEELS bigger than extra large pizzas, the only thing you are doing performance wise is decreasing it. not to thread jack though, at least in indiana, some of the good old days live on. every weekend, as long as you are with the muscle car guys, you can usually race and the cops wont touch you. this is actually good for me, most of the imports are rice rockets here anyways, and it is always fun to go out and race with people and teach them a lesson in humility.
Wouldnt be racing the imports anyway. More fun to beat up on the V8s

Old 04-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Administrator

andryuha...i feel ya...my 525 ran a 16.50 last year with the old cltuch, tranny, and shifter...it has since gotten a short throw, new tranny, and sachs mild performance clutch....plus good tires, and a new computer...so id like for it to get into the low 16s...when it was run last year, the clutch was slipping so badly that it looked like tire smoke.

but the difference between the bimmers running 16 and a focus with a body kit, neon, 5 tv's sparco racing seats, and dual exhaust, is that a slow bmw still has some class, as where that focus...well...im sure we all get the picture...

Old 04-26-2005, 11:09 AM
HCF Member

I call em wheels to and im 19. I got in the import seen about 2 years ago and I never have watched more than 10 minutes of that crap movie. So what you guys are saying is that that movie ruined street racing? Im assuming that after those movies everybody wanted all that crap you find on cars today with a playstation 2 in it right? And did those movies directly influence the rice market too?

Old 04-26-2005, 12:03 PM

This is basically my take on how The Fast and The Furious affected the import market. 16 year old kids that just got their license saw this movie and decided that it would be cool to do like the cars in the movie do it, weave in and out of traffic and stupid things like that. Approximately 1 out of every 5 of these kids are retarded beyond what used to be mediocre functioning in this country. They managed to get themselves behind the wheel, and if they didn't crash they bred, and the Fast and the Furious generation infected the auto scene terminally.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:09 AM

I believe the term "rim" came from when guys used to ask their girls for a "rim-job". Since then, every time guys were thinkin about their wheels, their girl would try to get their guy's attention by giving them a "rim-job" and then that was the only thing on the guy's mind........"RIM"-job.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:31 AM
HCF Member

[&:]

Old 04-27-2005, 08:40 AM

Well...this thread has produced nothing worthwhile, pertaining to the question anyway.

Quick Reply: Where did the term "rims" come about?