The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Where did the term "rims" come about?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Default Where did the term "rims" come about?

I guess that I'm just old school and still call them wheels. How and why did this whole trend of calling wheels "rims" come about? The "rim" is the part along the outside of a wheel. I just think it sounds dumb when people say that they're buying new "rims" instead of wheels. And here's why-

ORIGINAL: The Dictionary

rim

noun.

The circular outer part of a wheel, furthest from the axle.
Discuss.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Default RE: Where did the term "rims" come about?

Im the same way even though I have been guilty of it.

How old are you se7ensectoolate?

Old 04-25-2005, 07:14 PM

19, but I've been working on imports since before The Fast and The Furious (or as I like to call it B.R. for Before Rice) era infected our youth and destroyed what was once a decent import scene.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:14 PM

possibly because alot of people consider the wheel/tire assembly a wheel, and without tires they are just "rims", maybe? also it probably was influenced by pop culture just like everything else. rappers started saying "rollin on 20 inch rims" and everyone else went along with it

Old 04-25-2005, 07:16 PM

i would just like to add that i too was into imports long before The Fast & The Hideous

Old 04-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

that movie came out in 2001, if youre 19 now, you were 15 when that came out, so you were working on cars prior to being old enough to drive in most states?

Old 04-25-2005, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

that movie came out in 2001, if youre 19 now, you were 15 when that came out, so you were working on cars prior to being old enough to drive in most states?
My first car was handed down to me by my father, so it sat in the garage while I wrenched on it. Nothing major though. I should say that I was learning about cars then.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:30 PM

MAn do I remeber the races before that movie. Used to stay out all night with no problems. I remember goinng to the races the week before the movie and then the week after. Day and night difference. Started having big ol crackdowns and me and my girl got busted trying to hide in a dumpster by the ghetto bird. Havent been back since. Im all legal now.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:07 PM

Man, so do I. I remember going down there in my old car, just to watch all the Cobras and WS6s run down the road for hours on end. Then one night the cops blocked both sides of the street and ticketed everyone (I got out of it on a mistake by the officer) and nothing ever happens there anymore. I wouldn't go anyway, if it did. I got lucky once so I doubt I would again.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:25 PM

ahhh the good old days. before there were "performance wings" and "performace body kits" and "performance rims". if you have something that decreases the velocity of the air around your vehicle (aka park bench) and something that looks like a snow plow on the front, and is not sleek at all, and WHEELS bigger than extra large pizzas, the only thing you are doing performance wise is decreasing it. not to thread jack though, at least in indiana, some of the good old days live on. every weekend, as long as you are with the muscle car guys, you can usually race and the cops wont touch you. this is actually good for me, most of the imports are rice rockets here anyways, and it is always fun to go out and race with people and teach them a lesson in humility.

Quick Reply: Where did the term "rims" come about?