The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

The what do you do for a living thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: The what do you do for a living thread

ORIGINAL: DCAcivic

im at the art institute of pittsburgh getting a associates in web design multimedia.. grad in june.
Hey, I go to one of the AIs out here in CA! We have like 5 or 6. I graduate in September.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:50 AM

Im 23, I live in NH, got out of military last year, Im now a subcontractor doing marine construction, we have a 60 ft barge and 2 excavators and 2 bobcats, we work on the islands of lake winnepesaukee, (biggest lake on east coast I believe) building houses, docks and breakwaters, septic sytems and whatever else you might want done,

Old 04-18-2006, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

(Yes, I got Forty's blessing for bumping this old thread. So there. Meh.)

Hi! My name is Melanie, I'm 22. No kids, no husband (just lost the fiancee... wheee!)

I've complained about my job as a receptionist enough that I'd be shocked if anyone here didn't know what I do. I came from retail management, so really, this job is a snap. I work 9 and half hour days, which WOULD suck, except that I really need the money cause I own a house I'm working on selling, which is putting me into major debt.

As for what I'd LIKE to do? While I could easily move up to sales in this company, I think that I'm going to stay a receptionist for a while because it will be an easy-low stress job for when I head back to school when I turn 23 (easier to get student loans/grants.) I'd like to study Geology. I love any sort of science, especially earth-related ones, geology is really interesting, and also vulcanology (volcanoes). It's kinda funny cause I'm the least tree-huggy person you'd ever meet. I'd also love to try my hand at modeling. It's one of my more far-fetched dreams, but once I ditch the house I'll have money to put together a portfolio, which would be fun. Part of me also wants to take some automotive class at a community college, but I'm afraid that I'd be way too far behind everyone else. Maybe I could pass as a high school student and take shop

Old 04-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Good job on going back to school, such a smart move!

I wouldnt be too afraid of the machanics classes, a lot of people that take those are true noobs. Plus, I'm sure the "veterans" would be more than happy to give you a hand in learning the tricks of the trade.

Within the next year or so I plan to take a few courses in the automotive field. Just dont have the scratch right now

Old 04-18-2006, 01:44 PM

name is justin, currently working as a file clerk at a fertility clinic (i file paperwork!).

I am a graduate student working on a Masters of Counseling Psychology for my MFT license (marriage and family therapist).

I am waiting for an interview for a couple jobs for the city of san francisco: juvenile hall counselor and boys ranch counselor (where all the really bad juvies go). these jobs pay pretty damn well so my fingers are crossed.

i will also be starting an internship in the fall at Walden House, counseling adolescent boys and their families.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:52 PM
HCF Member

That's good work you're doin, man. Good work indeed.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:53 PM

hi im josh, and im an alcoholic, woops wrong forum, lol. no im 22 with 1 kid of my own and two step kids. i paint at a shop that assembles machines. hopefully this year or next year i can start doin some cars on the side and maybe one day do it full time. oh yea, i am married and just bought my first house last year in july.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

must have been on vacation when this thread started.

Keith
married
This is the year to start the family....or try again and again and again...I'm thirsty

Started off many years ago working cook jobs, valet, retail, became a licensed captain for the merchant marines, switched to construction and structural welding, and finally after the body started to fail, moved to the current job. I am a stationary engineer for ABM engineering, Local 39. I am lucky enough to have been one of the youngest Chief Engineer's in San Francisco. I am the guy who keeps the office building working. All electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems are my responsibilities. Some days are great, and other days are busy. All in all I like it because I have a varied work load, still can plan on big projects, and still have time to goof off. I also manage the buildings internal networking, security systems, etc....
I AM THE JACK OFF ALL TRADES!
LOL anyhow...made my money, have a house and am starting a family. I have a 2003 Dodge Ram quad cab as a toy, a 2000 VW Jetta for the wife, and a 95 Civic HB for the daily grind.
I plan on falling azz backwards into a pile of money and retiring. That failing...I plan to put in my 20 some odd years and retire on all of my investments, real estate, and good looks.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:33 PM

My name's David. I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I'm 19, and I am involved with someone, but it's shaky. Still young. I'll graduate from high school in 5 weeks, and will be a FAA certified aircraft mechanic in about 8 months.

Long term goals.. so many. In the immediate future I plan to spend another year in China (already spent one there last year), possibly another two years, before I start college (though I've already partially started college). I plan to get several degrees, all engineering or science related. I plan to work jobs until I'm out of college, relying on my A+P at first, and quite possibly until I finish. But most jobs anymore are for suckers in my opinion. Once I find the field that I'm most passionate about, I plan to be an entrepreneur and open my own business. That may change down the road, but I doubt it.

As for car related, I still don't have much to show for from my civic, a 98 DX coupe. But soon I plan to drop a JDM D15B in it and give it a light all motor build. It will be my beater/autocrosser. I plan on owning and wrenching on several other cars too. My next will probably be a Formula for the street and strip, light all motor build also. Not sure on what year or powerplant yet. I might like an Evo after that, but we'll see what's out there by that time.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Cat Fuсker

My name is Eugene and I'm an al...wait...repeating other ppls jokes ain't funny....anyhow I'm gonna update, right now I'm an instructor at a technical school, teaching computer classes

Quick Reply: The what do you do for a living thread