The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

What;s the dumbest mistake you've made on your car?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 03:52 PM
HCF Member
Default What;s the dumbest mistake you've made on your car?...

Don't know if anything like this has been posted before but just wondering what kind of mistakes we've made with our cars that you could have kicked yourself for....

Knucklehead move #1... On my old 92 4dr. Checked the oil and forgot to put the cap back on. After driving about 3 miles, a strong scent of oil, and a little smoke coming through the vents, I pull over to find the cap laying on the side of the engine compartment. Cleaning an oil covered engine bay is not the best way to spend an afternoon... [:@]

#2... I finished vaccuming my interior next to the apartment trash bin to find a huge gouge down to the metal where I had been rocking the door back and forth on the edge of the trash bin. $300 mistake...[:@]

How about the rest of you?...

Old 04-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Default RE: What;s the dumbest mistake you've made on your car?...

ill post pics when i go to check out my car :P

Old 04-17-2006, 03:58 PM

thats easy, i have to park 2-3 inched away from the back of my wall in the garage so that i can **** the door. well i pulled in and thought i took it out of gear, let the clutch out and realized its was in gear still. well it hard enough to disconnect the battery. so i hooked it back up, drove it outside and surveyed the damage. i have the body kit molded to my car and it split the front bumper and fender apart from each other and sent spiderwebs down my chromallusion paint. i still feel like a retard for that one

Old 04-17-2006, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

I tried to put a piston in backwards on an engine i was working on. As far as actual damage goes, i was changing the light switch on an old truck. The truck has this collar that holds the switch on. You are suppose to turn the collar and unscrew it. I pried on it with a screwdriver and broke it into 2 pieces. It took me 3 days to find another collar.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

failed to install the throw out bearing when i replaced my clutch a few years ago......there was no to bearing in the tranny, pushed the clutch down and it hit the floor....luckily the engine wasnt running. no damage for me.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 PM

a piston in backwards, that reminds me of my brother changing my moms oil for the first time, he put 10 quartz back into it, and yes somehow the truck held it all. that one still makes me laugh. or how about a guy i know, his brand new lawn mower ran out of gas so he put gas back in it, except for when u put the oil. that was an expensive mistake. he said he had no idea what he was doin, the funny thing about it is that his dad has owned a lawn mower repair shop for the past 20 yrs.

i know it wasnt car related but i had to share

Old 04-17-2006, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

did an oil change on a 91 blazer about 8 years ago ----went out to pump some gas -- came back in & drove it out --girl came to pick it up --drove away &called about 8 miles later -----ooooops for got to put the oil back in [:@]----used motor --$850--pain in the a$$to put it in----you bet ----seeing her pissed off ----priceless

Old 04-17-2006, 05:20 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

well lets see i would take back buying these cheap *** dropzone coilovers that put my car way too low to the ground and it screwed up my side skirts

then i would take back the new coilovers i installed because they are ebay cheapies....lol i just want a good suspension

Old 04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Stinky Administrator

the first oil change on my 89 stang lx 5.0 it has a double hump oil pan with two drain plugs it held 5 quarts of oil so i saw the front drain plug and i drained it just 3 quarts came out. so here i was scraching my head till a freind came over and said did you know there is a back drain plug oh well thats why i don't drive fords anymore

Old 04-17-2006, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

I once got really bored after going bowling one day. So I drove my car over to the far side of the parking lot, threw it in reverse, and hit the gas. Once I got up enough speed I tried spinning the wheel to make the front end come around. Mind you this is in a FWD vehicle. I was able to do it but when I tried to pull away I couldn't. So I got out and looked around and both of my front tires were facing out. The mechanic told me I busted the tie rod or something.

Quick Reply: What;s the dumbest mistake you've made on your car?...