The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Tool Talk

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I might have to look into that Makita... it's about $100 cheaper than Matco/Snap-On

Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Cat Fuсker

Makita's batteries suck diсk.

P.S. don't forget we have a tool review section.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
Makita's batteries suck diсk.

P.S. don't forget we have a tool review section.

my craftsmen has lasted 2yrs so far and still strong

Old 12-20-2010, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

Eh just about every tech by us has the Makita set, and I can't complain. Through our Matco truck the guy says $400 for the impact, drill, and flashlight.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Changed my mind on my box. Instead of adding onto my current box, I'm going to get a wider box and stack my current intermediate and top chests on one side, leaving room on one side to fill out repair orders on (both of my work benches are always soaked in either coolant, oil, or trans fluid).

Anyway, I'm down to two possibilities and need help deciding. The first is pretty much just two of my roll-aways welded together. It'll be like this, only red/black instead of just red.

The second possibility would be this with this thrown in for good measure. I would love to have the first one but it's a little pricey for a Craftsman box.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

Not too fond of spending the money on a Snap On/Matco box? I really like the Matco 4s boxes, 2 bay and get a stainless top so you have somewhere for tools and writing on ro's. But I'd get Snap On due to the drawers having the latches on them so they can't open on their own or anything.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Not really, no. I prefer to spend as little as possible, especially when quality is about the same

And both choices are Craftsman Grip-Latch, a latch system extremely close to Snap-On's. The big difference is instead of sliding a tab type deal on the drawer sideways, you pull up on any part of the drawer's overhang and the drawer will open.

Also, the foam liners I buy are sized to fit the drawers on Craftsman boxes and pretty much nothing else. That along with the fact that I plan on keeping my current intermediate and top chest and would prefer something that matches in both color and depth are pretty much the biggest reasons I'm staying Craftsman.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

Eh quality the same, debateable, but an arguement that can go on for days.

But I forget you have the cut outs. My box is unorganized, drawers have too mch **** in them, and with my car in front of it it isn't easy to get stuff and put it back so it is a total mess.

I can't wait to get my Snap On box, my drawers aren't deep enough.

And I posted in my project thread a pic of these, but a few weeks back I bought the Milwaukee 18v cordless impact and drill set for $200.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-2691-2...item4aa8648349
They are awesome, lots of power, long battery life, and Milwaukee has a really good warranty. Highly recommend this set, price is really good too.

Just ordered the light that goes with it, $30 shipped for it. So for $230 i got everything the Makita set comes with that is over $350.

Last edited by Scott53092; 02-04-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I don't know, my friend has an incredibly nice Snap-On box and several of my friends and co-workers are Snap-On/Matco fanatics (actually, I think my one co-worker might be keeping our Snap-On guy in business lol), and I haven't really seen anything to convince me to switch over to either company.

Also, I think I'll probably go with the smaller box. Realistically I don't think I'll be outgrowing it anytime soon, and by the time I do I'll probably be looking at something huge like a 72" box.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

Lol we've got our share of Snap On/Matco lovers, I'm one of them. I swear by Snap On/Matco tools, I started with Craftsman and once I upgraded to Snap On and Matco I haven't looked back, I'm a tool ***** and it is a bad addiction lol. I have more Snap On/Matco tools than anybody I know that is my age. I always want to spend more money... and in a few monthes I'm going to go on another shopping spree, probably after the semester of school is over. By then the build part of my car should be done and no need for intense cash for it. So then I'll be at it again...

But I am more Snap On biased because our Snap On rep is 100x cooler than our Matco rep. When it comes to tool preference I kinda go towards Matco in more stuff, but I dislike the Matco rep so my business goes more to Snap On.

And I don't even bother with Mac, our rep is awesome, but I dislike their tools.

Last edited by Scott53092; 02-04-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Tool Talk