The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Tool Talk

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

I've got a Harbor Freight like 21 gallon air compressor. No complaints there, was under $200. For a 110v it works really good, lasts pretty long. My Snap On impact draws a pretty good amount of air and the compressor will definitely get it running. I love taking my impact to work and putting it on our lines though, they run like 120 psi. I;ve heard the Harbor Freight Earthquake 1/2" impact is pretty decent. But I won't buy Harbor Freight tools I'll use often seeing as that being a mechanic I'll use em a ton more than they are meant for and wreck em in a week.

I'll probably pick up the HF engine hoist, or bum one off my friends. Just need to lift my car over my motor pretty much. I think I'm going to buy the HF parts washer bay thing this winter. I love parts washer, that stuffs awesome. Also want to buy a sand blaster, one of the most useful things in the world. And a 12 ton hydro press too. I could really bring all my suspension parts to work to press out but that'll get annoying bringing stuff back and forth. None of that stuffs expensive at all either. Usually find em with a coupon, then 20%, then get somethin free with one of the free coupon things lol. I have probably 10+ led flashlights I got free there.

Matco guys an idiot and said he fixed my 1/4" ratchet by stretching the spring, still skipping teeth like crazy. I told him teeth are missing since I could feel it when I opened, he proceeded to tell me I'm wrong.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

Alright I took some pics of my tool chest. I didnt bother with the top, the top is where the extras go as well as my STANDARD **** cause I never use it haha. To open the top you have to have the upper lid open too since it unlocks the drawers and I didn't feel like moving stuff off. The lid was where my carbon fiber trunk sat for 2 monthes haha. Here's come pics. Btw I try to be organized, doesn't always work. Had to do brakes on my parents Yukon today so it is kind of a jumble.

The box itself:

Top drawer aka everything important. All my sockets (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 6/12pt, torx, allen, impact, etc.), my GearWrenches (absolutely love and highly reccomend, best like $250 I spent), as well as random line wrenches and stuff. Oh, and the Snap On impact of course (fav thing I have haha)

Next row is ratchets and extensions and my normal wrenches. My 1/4" Matco ratchet took a **** so that's getting warrantied next week. And it is kind of a waste of a drawer putting the wrenches there, but I was moving stuff around one day and just gave up organizing. I don't like that wrench rack either. It is nice to be able to just carry the whole set with me, but I don't like the fact that it is metal and scratching my expensive wrenches. So I'll be probably getting some wrench racks from Matco, theirs are real nci and they have reversed racks too so you can fit more. A lot of drawers look bare, a lot of ****s in the top too don't forget lol.

Next drawers are screwdrivers, allen wrenches, mini files,and mini wrenches.

Here's the hammer and pry drawer. Few hammers are missing (dad grabbed em to use). My 2 lb Snap On dead blow ball peen hammer should be coming this week . Love those hammers. Other drawer is measuring stuff, battery post cleaners, impact driver, etc.

K now it is big axle nut sockets and Matco air blow gun kit. Other side is punches and picks and stuff.

Here's the drawer of a mass amount of random ****. Heat shrink, solder, all that stuff makes its way in here. Files, brushes, drill bits, stuff like that is next to it.

Everything tha pinches is bottom left drawer. Right side is all my air tools so neatly thrown in to one drawer haha. Air chisel, air ratchet, sander, all that is in there.

One more of the whole box itself

And here's what snuck its mirror in the previous picture

Last edited by Scott53092; 10-13-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, I might go tool shopping monday. If I do, lots and lots of pics monday/tuesday night

Old 10-16-2010, 02:33 PM
HCF Member

that is one clean toolbox scott, i should post pics of mine just for the lolz. however, i can always find everything.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

Well I was planning on buying more tools but now that I've got my jdm/usdm h22 hybrid to build my moneys going there. I might take out a loan and drop a few k on Snap On/Matco stuff while I'm in school. Figure most other people have student loans for college, I'll have tool loans to pay off since my schooling is insanely cheap lol.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I was thinking about financing Snap-On tools while I was at Wyotech but I figured my student loans would be enough debt. Through the school students got a 60% discount on boxes and 50% on tools.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Pretty much everything I own is Craftsman. There is a Sears right across the street from me so its a quick replacement trip in the case anything breaks. I do HVAC installs and service and they stand up to anything I put them through. All my junk beater stuff is Husky. Currently looking for a new compressor, the Harbor Freight one took a dump a few months ago after a year of use.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Scott53092
I have the same gun, have had it for over a year now and I love it. Strong as hell. It is a bit loud but the muffler does help a good bit.

Personally, I'm more of a Matco person. Mainly because it's really damn good stuff and (generally)cheaper than Snap-On lol. I have some Snap-On stuff but it's just to expensive. I bought most of my Matco/Snap-On/BluePoint tools when I was in school and got like a ~50% discount on stuff. Now I just buy Craftsman stuff since it's cheap and easy to replace if something happens(just run to the store instead of dealing with a truck seller or online).

My most useful and lifesaving tool I have in my box is my Matco 3/8" electric impact gun. 100ft/lbs of tq, lightweight, good battery life, and really durable. The thing is my baby and I use it on just about everything. It's well worth the cost.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

I LOVE the gun haha. I like the Matco version better, smaller, less weight, about the same power, and has a better direction switch. But for the price I got the Snappy I'm not going to complain. It has yet to get stalled tryin to break something free running on my 21 gallon compressor putting out like 90ish psi, pulling axle nuts w/o unstaking them. When I take it to work on the lines we run like 120 psi, the gun is insane. Pulls lugs in a single pull of the trigger.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:08 AM

Yeah I've used the Matco equivalent numerous times and I would have got it but I got a great deal on the Snap-On gun.

Quick Reply: Tool Talk