The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Tint Ticket in NY

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:24 AM
HCF Member
Default Tint Ticket in NY

hello all.

I recieved a ticket for my tints last year, (20%) didnt take them off, went to court. the judge asked me simply if I had taken them off, I said no sir, and he fined me 80$.

Just this friday, i got another ticket for my tints, but this time I got a form that if i have my car inspected after removing the tints, i can mail it in and not have to pay a fee or anything.

I dont really want to do that and would be willing to pay ~$80 dollars again. do you think the charge will be the same? if so do you think I could just mail in the ticket ticking guilty? or is the charge lower if you take the time to appear in court?

suggestions?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

heres the thing, i know if you dont pay a ticket in a certain amout of time, they will revoke your liscence, im not sure if that will apply to that or not. i looked online and this chart below is what your legally allowed to have. from what i have been reading online about new york tinting, they are really cracking down on it.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

Last edited by supersize; 12-07-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
HCF Member

I think his asking if they will lower the fine for apearing in court.
not asking whats Legal in New York. im pretty sure he knows its not legal by now....

i doubt they will lower the ticket. since your gonna say "no sir".
at least thats what happened last year when i parked in a residential driveway during new years lol. it was 50 dollars. (i mailed it in)
and that same night another friend got the same exact ticket, but he appeared in court, and it was still 50 dollars.

but i guess it really depends on the judge?

BTW a friend of mine got a tint ticket last summer, and all he did was go to the guy that tinted his windows, paid 5 bucks for a receipt that said that he had paid to get his tint removed, and he took that to court and he had the fine droped.
but he didnt have the tint removed.

Last edited by DaOne; 12-07-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
HCF Member

I don't know how the state of New York works. But as for Oklahoma, going to court adds a $25 fee for court costs. Either mailing in or going to the ticket counter and paying your ticket off is $25 cheaper, and you don't have to miss school/work to go to traffic court.
But I say, give DaOne's idea a shot. They won't go out and actually check your car.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

its 5 here in PA, but yeah, i would do what daone said

Old 12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

daone, you have a really good idea, but in my case I do not think it will work. attached to my ticket is a form that a lisenced NY car inspector has to fill out after inspecting my car has no tint. even if i brought the reciept in like that, the court (i believe) will have me check my car within 24 hours (what it said on the ticket/form).

i think my best bet is just to mail it in and suffer another 80 dollar (hopefully) loss.

i told myself that if i get another ticket, i will take off the tints for good. but so far I am on strike 2, and it has been ~3 years since i've gotten them.

annual fee for tints, ftl!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

ive got a prescription for tint so they can't give me a ticket just go to your family doctor and tell them you get migranes from bright sunlight/people folowing you and they will give you a prescription

Old 12-07-2009, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by gooberguy
daone, you have a really good idea, but in my case I do not think it will work. attached to my ticket is a form that a lisenced NY car inspector has to fill out after inspecting my car has no tint. even if i brought the reciept in like that, the court (i believe) will have me check my car within 24 hours (what it said on the ticket/form).

i think my best bet is just to mail it in and suffer another 80 dollar (hopefully) loss.

i told myself that if i get another ticket, i will take off the tints for good. but so far I am on strike 2, and it has been ~3 years since i've gotten them.

annual fee for tints, ftl!

oh i see. yeah it wouldnt work for you.
his was a added fine. he got pulled over for not fully stoping at a stop sign. and then the cop checked the tint with the little machine and got em for that too. i believe it was a "fix it ticket" or something like that. (in nevada BTW)

how come you got that form this time? maybe cuz it was the second time?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 PM

^^ DaOne is right, they gave you a fix it ticket. There should be a number on the ticket itself to call if you have any questions. They gave you this ticket because the officer was most likely able to see that you did get pulled over and fined for tint previously.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM
HCF Member

verdict is in: $85 ticket, $55 NY surcharge, for a whopping total of $140. Would have been cheaper to get them taken off and put back on.

Quick Reply: Tint Ticket in NY