The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

for the street racers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:14 AM
Default RE: for the street racers...

Its sad, and though the kid may have known he could get hurt, nobody really ever thinks they will. especially when your young and inexperienced. I do sympathize for all partys involved... kids make mistakes man, part of growing up, its just a shame that this mistake caused him his life and the injury of others.

In november, one of our major contributing members over on the Redlineforums.com was in an accident while street racing. A 79 year old woman ran a stop light making a left hand turn, and his saturn cut here benz right in half! she died on the way to the hospital. He now faces first degree murder charge, and the other racer(a nissan 350z) faces vehicular manslaughter iirc. I cant think of a much harder way to learn this lesson... not only is he getting a murder one charge, but he will have to live the rest of his life knowing he took a life for a few seconds of fun on the road. Not sure the charge will stick, but they are deff trying to make an example of him.

I admit, i often played on the roads, but when somthing hits so close to home it makes it really easy to put yourself in that persons shoes(esp since he drove the same model, year, color, car as me, and seeing the scene photoes were just creepy, thought i was looking into my future or somthing)... it puts alot into perspective, and i dont race on the streets anymore.

I guess thats what it takes somtimes though... i know alot of people wont stop racing on public roads untill they or somone close to them is hurt or killed.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

But thats just the thing...your homeboy was racing somewhere with the possibilty of cross traffic. At least the morons on streetfire who come to a stop on the highway in the middle of the night dont have a chance of cross traffic.

I will admit that ive done my share of street racing in my younger days. we had a stretch of 4 lane road that was down in a valley of sorts, and for about a mile, there were no access points so there was no where for cross traffic, or for the cops to sit. from the stop light before that area, to the endd of the first guard rail section was exactly a quarter mile, and after a bit, someone went so far as to paint a stripe across the road. while i was not one of the regular racers there, i made a few rips through there, and until the police started cracking down because of the noise late at night, there wasnt a SINGLE accident. another problem was that morons who couldnt get off the line, but thought that they could drive around the other person passed the quarter mile mark wouldnt let up at the mark, and races soon turned into a half mile..then a mile...

but youll find that while street racing is never safe, the smarter street racers will do so where the possibilities of traffic, or anyone not involved coming around are non-existant.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:19 AM

cadillac:1
hyundai:0

at least the old lady has a decent chance of survival... those caddies were built like bricks

guy took his life into his own hands, happens whenever you race

have absolutely no sympathy for him losing it, especially since he took someone elses life into his hands as well

as for the silver neon, they find it & the driver, driver can go do for manslaughter if they really push hard

Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Cat Fuсker

No sympathy for him...kids racing in broad daylight on the street need tohave their left knee cap busted...

Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Eun

Everyday in my neighborhood I hear cars just roaring down the street. I don't really appreciate that because, there is people walking around.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

luckily, the way that this area is set up, the neighborhoods are all in subdivisions, and they are narrow, winding roads...not much use for racing...but on the other hand, the main roads are 5 lanes, and areall straight..the area is a grid. so there are straights all over the place, and they arent longer than a mile at a time.i rarely see people crossing the streets, and there arent cross streets, unless there is a light...ive not heard of any racing incidents in my area...

Old 03-15-2007, 01:45 AM
HCF Member

I would never even think about street racing somebody in high traffic or in a place with lots of cross traffic. I've had people try and race me at redlights when we're not even at the front... what the hell are they thinking?

My first accident happend when I was driving too fast (probably about 15 over) and my cell phone dropped off my sticky pad and fell under my brake and was unable to stop going through a redlight. A person turning across my line to a side road... which was actually the only other car on the road pulled out and I basically hit them head on and totalled both cars. I was young and didn't even think to pull the e-brake.

I can see the very same thing happening in street racing. I don't think theres any real way to stop jackasses on the road from doing it. The cops around here are total dicks but it still happens.