The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Sirius radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Default RE: Sirius radio

I've got Serius. Been satisfied with it so far. I took a trip out to California last June and carried a car adaptor to use on the rental car. Reception was Ok 98% of the time. I got some skipping up in the Siearra Nevada mountains, southwest of Lake Tahoe. Also got a little skipping on Hwy 1 between Monterey/Carmel and Cambria. It never lasted longer than 3-4 seconds at most and usually was just a hickup. That's not too bad I guess. Other than that, it worked perfectly. I've got a cousin in Salinas who has XM and she says she's never had any skipping problems with in on Hwy 1?

I chose Serius over XM because they've got some programming that XM doesn't offer. Most folks I've met that have XM say they chose it over Serius for the same reason but for the most part, the programming on both systems is pretty similar. When I researched the Serius web site, they were offering a lifetime subscription for $499. I decided to go for that. I'll break even at 38 months. After that, I'll be in the black. I've only had the system for about 5 months now so I've got a ways to go but I don't have to worry about the monthly bills either. We'll see how it goes in the long run.

Steve R.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:20 PM
HCF Member

I JUST got xm, and it doesn't seem too bad. There haven't really been commercials, just someone talking transitioning between every few songs. I can see it getting old later though, so I'm gonna get a headunit w/ the iPod interface as well, but I'm pretty frustrated right now! I bought the Delphi SkyFi2, and I guess it's newer or something, cuz it came with the home kit, but finding a car kit is HELL!!! Everyone bought them out and I'm in Grand Forks, so the only place to buy is Best Buy (who just gave up the Delphi line) and a local stereo shop! But I haven't had any problems or complaints yet!

Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

i have sirius. it had more stations that i liked than XM. no complaints here...ive actually found a couple bands through it.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:58 PM

Hi Skytanker,

If you're having trouble finding the car kit you need locally, have you tried just ordering it over the Internet? I know some folks really don't like to do that but I've had a number of times when it seemed to be the only place I could find what I wanted or needed.

Good luck,
Steve R.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, Intrepid, I thought about it. If the local shop keeps pullin' my chain sayin' "It'll be here in a day or two" I'm going to just order it online. I just don't wanna pay the extra shipping if I can just drive down and get it. Laziness, impatience, and stupidity prevent me from doing the right thing!!!

Old 07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator

i have sirius in my office at work, and i love it, i paid for the lifetime membership

Old 08-01-2006, 05:26 PM
HCF Member

Sirius in my audi and it is great but I want xm in my civic...

Old 08-01-2006, 06:35 PM

My only real gripe with satalite radio is that they charge you for every radio you've got. If you're like me and using a portable radio, I can take that out of the car and use it in the house, or a second car. If you're subscribed to a system like Honda's XM radio that's a permanent addition to the car itself, you can't take it with you. So, if you want to listen to sat radio in the house, you're stuck unless you're willing to spend the extra money for the second receiver.

Personally, I think the subscription should allow for at least two radio heads. Probably won't happen, but........

Just a thought,
Steve R.