The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

road trip anyone?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 07:40 PM
HCF Member
Default road trip anyone?!

well guys I am suppoused to be getting my liscense soon. yea shut the hell up I am like almost 17 but that is beside the point. did anyone do any semi major road trips by them self or with a buddy or two just when they got there liscense. because I live in eastern michigan and want to go west just for the hell of it to see what it is like. I just want to know like how big of a step is it should I wait and what?

Old 01-21-2007, 07:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: road trip anyone?!

my advice is to stick to your own town.

driving is dangerous enough at your age. no sense in venturing into strange towns with different traffic patterns and unfamiliar roads.

and definitely stay away from large metro areas, because freeways and superhighways are a mother to navigate even for someone with years of experience.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

ok thanks. any more good advice?

Old 01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
HCF Member

don't drink and drive

Old 01-21-2007, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: brokenarmboy19

don't drink and drive
always a good one!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:46 PM

drive with a good map, and if you go on a road trip bring a gas can, anda toilet paper (just in case). and alsways have some money to spare, or some type of credit card.

i thin taling a road trip is a great idea, but going alone is no fun. my sister and i drove to florida a few months back, it was a really nice bonding expiriance, and it was florida baby. the total trip didnt cost much at all because we stayed with my older brother that lives there. the total price of the trip was only about 600-700 dollars including gas, food, and 2 nights hotel stay.

Old 01-21-2007, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

Yeah +1 on the gas can. Running out of gas SUCKS

Old 01-22-2007, 12:24 AM

roadtrips are nuts...i went on a roadtrip last summer into Brittish Columbia and it was insane...go with all ur bro's and drink hard, meet girls and do whatever you want and u wont have a better time anywhere else

Old 01-22-2007, 01:42 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: drbyers

my advice is to stick to your own town.

driving is dangerous enough at your age. no sense in venturing into strange towns with different traffic patterns and unfamiliar roads.

and definitely stay away from large metro areas, because freeways and superhighways are a mother to navigate even for someone with years of experience.
I totally agree. I live outside of Atlanta GA and it is nuts driving around there. I have been driving for 12 years, have taken many driving courses, and still have a tough time sometimes. When I was 17 I had been driving for a year and took a road trip with two friends. I thought I could take on the world. Not so it turns out. We blew a radiator about 50 miles outside of Birmingham AL. Blew a tire near Atlanta GA. Ran off the road a few times up in the mountains. Needless to say we almost died a few times. All and all it was the best trip I have ever taken. However, knowing what I know now, I would have waited till I was a better driver to do it.

Also, go talk to your local police dept. They might offer a driving course you could take for free. If they do you will even get a cheaper rate on your insurance (more if you have good grades). The courses I have taken were all about how to avoid another car at high speed, controlling a car the hydroplanes, controlling a car with a blowout, etc... They were HELLA fun, and I ended up getting about $200 off my insurance. (more car parts LOL)

Just dont do anything stupid and you should be fine. Hope it helps, and have fun.

Matt

Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 AM

I went to Fort Bennings, GA about 5 months ago with two of my buddies to see a real good friend of mine graduate basic training. Lots of fun. Just make sure your other friends dont want to take a detour through a bunch of mountains..........mountain driving sucks if you never have done if before............especially in a neon[:'(]

Quick Reply: road trip anyone?!