The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Push ups for toned arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Push ups for toned arms

here's advice for toning:

spend more calories than you eat; you lose fat, and you become "toned" because the fat covering the muscles disappear

for lifting weights, few reps of heavy weight is for strength training, many reps of lighter weights if for endurance/toning.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 PM

BTW I forgot to mention, especially for endurance/tone type stuff, you can never really do too many sit ups/push ups. Also doing a lot of cardio (running, cycling, squats, etc) is good too. In soccor, basketball, even the armed forces all you ever do a lot of is running. The punishment for messing up is usualy some sory of cardio, sit ups or push ups, etc. Doing that stuff will really keep the calories and fat down and keep those muscles poking through.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 PM

Im not even close to being a body builder but you definately need rest days to let the muscles recover, because the when you do any work out, the muscle fibres get tiny microtears in them, and when they heal over thats how muscle is built up, and if you dont rest, they dont heal properly and the tears get bigger and damages the muscle

Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 00IntegraLS

im a "bodybuilding" freak. If you want to gain muscle, doing pushups every day is WRONG! get a gym membership.

workouts shouldnt be longer than 45 mins or else the body will go catabolic and thats not counter productive. for example: chest, do 4 different exercises, 3-4 sets each exercise, 8-12 reps each set, 1:30-2:00 rest between sets.
Doing pushups to tone isn't wrong... Different hand positionstriggers different muscle groups. I believe it was hershel walker that would do 500 push ups and a 1000 sit ups a day, 4 times a week. He was one rippedson of a bitch. Also workouts can go way longer than 45 minutes. Pro body builders work out for two hours, twice a day. Hell, our football work outs are an hour and thirty minutes long.
Joining a gym would be a great idea mill$. You'll get addicted to lifting.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:28 AM
HCF Member

thats not what he said he said doin them to gain muscle is wrong.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
HCF Member

Because stressing your muscles by doing pushups wontbuild muscle huh?
Mill$ said he wants to tone...

And doing push-ups to build muscle is not wrong. There are several ways to build muscle with out weights.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

if you want to tone I say go with some hard-core calisthenics. about 2 hours of that and your metabolism will go up if you stay consistent. If you want to tone, you also need to build muscle mass (strength) as you tone to get the best results... anyway, there is MUCH more to it, but that is the basic gist of it. oh also, like others have said, dont forget to rest the muscle groups.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Basil

if you want to tone I say go with some hard-core calisthenics. about 2 hours of that and your metabolism will go up if you stay consistent. If you want to tone, you also need to build muscle mass (strength) as you tone to get the best results... anyway, there is MUCH more to it, but that is the basic gist of it. oh also, like others have said, dont forget to rest the muscle groups.
word. u should start out on strength training, more weight/less reps, to gain muscle mass. then after a while begin to tone. what muscle will u tone if u dont have any to begin withright?(not calling ur weak or anything lol).

push-ups everyday is fine, so long as u dont kill urself doing them. a comfortable amount everyday with maybe a day off sometime during the week would be good.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
HCF Member

I usually do 30 fist pushups, 20 diamond, 15 Fingertip, and 30 really wide a night. Sometimes I elevate my feet and do around 20 or so.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

Push-ups are for the chest and back and a little bit of tri's. But, if you want to get toned and not big and fat like 95% of the fools in the gym, then just run, run , run and do sit ups, pull ups and pushups. Dont do them every day or you will not only hurt your self but they will get so used to the workout that they will no longer react to it.

Quick Reply: Push ups for toned arms