The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Problems with Sears. Need advice (LONG. Cliffnotes included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Default Problems with Sears. Need advice (LONG. Cliffnotes included)

So last winter I bought a Sony camcorder at Sears. It was an open box special for $100. What a deal, right? WRONG. During the summer, I took said camcorder to Dominican Republic and it took a dump on me. The touch screen stopped functioning. When I came back, I went to Sears to fix my camera, as it was under warranty. I found out that warranty on labor has expired, but parts would be covered. I said OK and gave them a $30 non-refundable fee that they require, which would also go toward a repair. After that I went to Europe for over a month, hoping that this camera will be ready for pick up. It turned out that Sears sent it to some indy repair shop in Connecticut. They informed that my camera is not yet fixed and that they will contact me as soon as it's done. I waited over a month and called to Sears to find out WTF is going on. THey gave me the number of the indy shop and asked me to call them (isn't it Sears' responsibility?). I called that place and they informed me that parts are covered, but cost of labor will be $120. I told them about the $30 that I initially paid and they asked me to email them a receipt. (again, IDK why Sears is not handling it). Well, I emailed them a receipt and haven't heard a response for a while. I call them back and they informed me that they received my receipt and that I should settle the $30 issue with Sears and that they will still charge me $120. While I was negotiating with Sears, I figured out that this is hopeless and decided to pay the $120 fee. It was now November. I called the indy shop to give them my credit card info and they told me that they shipped my camera back, because I took so long to pay for it. WTF is this? I was sorting out the **** that was caused by Sears and those people. I received my camera and found out that the battery was missing. I called them up (the shop name is Precision Camera btw) and told them about this. They said that I will get the battery within a week. To put it briefly - it took them almost 2 months to ship this freaking battery to me. I also had to constantly call and remind them. So I got the battery today and put the sucker into the camera. I heard an awful noise comming from it. I tried to eject the cassette compartment, but it jammed 1/2 up. I also saw some loose parts on the inside. I got OWNED. So now, not only is my touch screen broken, but the camera is not usable at all (I was able to operate it without the touchscreen via remote). WTF can and should I do? My blood is boiling. I was planning to sell this camera on ebay, since it was still working, but now it's completely useless.

Cliffnotes:
-Camcorder's touch screen broke in Dominican Republic
-Gave camcorder to Sears to repair under warranty
-they sent it to a third party without my knowledge
-3rd party wanted to charge more then they were supposed to
-called third party shop to submit the payment and it turned out that they shipped the unrepaired camera back
-got the camera, but the battery was missing
-after 2 months, I finally got them to send me a battery (they lost mine)
-received my battery and found out that my camera now has more severe damage
-it was usable without the touchscreen, but now the cassette would not eject + there are loose parts inside that prevent the cassette bay from closing

Old 01-18-2007, 08:15 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Problems with Sears. Need advice (LONG. Cliffnotes included)

call sears headquarters I think you are entitled to a new free one. dont you?

Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Cat Fuсker

BBB and sears corporate...

Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 PM

ORIGINAL: bateater

call sears headquarters I think you are entitled to a new free one. dont you?
I certainly hope so. I would at least want my $130 back. I'm so pissed right now. I'm about to write a letter to Sears and include all of the photos and relevent paperwork. I also want to file a complaint against Precision Camera to BBB. They are shady

Old 01-18-2007, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

dude i would file a complaint agianst them. i wouldn't write them....i would call them. that way i could be sure that they got and at least listen you

Old 01-18-2007, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

First thing i would do is go to the store as for the General Manager. When the manager comes make sure its the General Manager and not some assistant manager. Explain the situation and tell them to give you a new camera or fix your for free. Make sure you tell him/her that the camera is missing the battery now and is in ever worse condition than it was before. At the very least, Sears is liable for the damage that was caused while you sent it to repair. You gotta keep your cool though, once you start acting like an *** hole the manager will no longer want to help you. Your situation is pretty reasonable so the GM should give you what you want. However, if the GM doesn't do anything ask for the number of the corporate office and the regional manager. Tell the GM that you will be putting in a complaint with corporate, the BBB, and the Attorney General. Call the regional manager. Put in a complaint to corporate.If nothing happens, put a complain to the BBB and the Attorney General. I agree with the other guy that writing complaints will not get you anywhere. You need to go into the store and talk to the manager, regional manager, etc. Make sure you bring all the paperwork for everything.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

act calmly while trying to resolve the matter.

sears is a national chain brand. they're not going to bend over backwards to satisfy one guy with a broken camcorder.

the person you speak with might, however.

be courteous but straightforward and tell them that all the trouble you have been through.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:10 AM
HCF Member

^^^+1