The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

prius or camry

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 PM
HCF Member
Default prius or camry

my girlfriend's mom is talking about getting a new car
she was thinking a camry
I asked her why she wanted to go toyota and not something cool like a honda or towards Germany, but she wouldn't get any trade-in value for those.
Then I wondered if a prius would be better than a camry

any input? I haven't ever followed cars a lot, but I see a lot more commercials for the prius than the camry

Old 07-31-2009, 02:18 PM

Honda's don't have trade-in/re-sale value??? what? I know Toyota's re-sale value is one of the highest, but Honda is up there, too.

It all depends on what she wants, Camry's are nice, but a Prius would be better on MPG (unless she got the hybrid Camry).

Old 07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

err, I'm sure they have trade-in value, but the car she has now is a toyota, some van I dunno

Anyone else familiar with the two? and why would a hybrid camry be better/equal gas mileage to the prius? I thought that was it's big thing

Old 07-31-2009, 02:46 PM

The new Prius gets like 50mpg I think, where as the hybrid 4 cylinder Camry gets around 30mpg. I've worked and driven both of them many times, both great cars and pretty nice. Really depends on what she wants in a car. Out the door they are both close to $25k I believe. The Prius has more space in the rear since it's a hatchback but interior personal space is a little less then the Camry. The Prius also lacks power big time even on the motor whereas the Camry when it's running on fuel can get up and go without much problem. Also the obvious, gas mileage. As I mentioned the Prius gets more. Tell her to test drive them both, see how they feel and see what she'd be more comfortable in and get the most practicality out of.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 AM
HCF Member

alrighty, thanks for the input
I'll just see what she wants in a car. She said she thought the prius was smaller...which I don't really think so (I think a little less comfort room but it's a hatch, so)
And I'm not sure if she's trying to trade it in through the cash for clunkers or not. I just saw something about it in the paper this morning and realized that might be why the sudden trade-in
appreciate it guys

as always, fast responses that actually help

Old 08-01-2009, 06:42 AM
HCF Member

Whether she wants a prius or not depends on how she drives. You won't get anywhere near 50 mpg if you drive like other gasoline/diesel vehicles or somewhat aggressively. Plus, I hope you're not wanting the prius in order to be 'environmentally friendly', because they're quite the opposite.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

if she's looking at a prius why not get a fit?

I just think priuses are just ugly.

Camry's are definitely bigger cars no doubt.

Need more info to help out lol.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by inthezoneac
if she's looking at a prius why not get a fit?
Their Euro counterparts are called the Honda Jazz. I'm not sure I would want to own a car with that name, lol.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by sexypants
alrighty, thanks for the input
I'll just see what she wants in a car. She said she thought the prius was smaller...which I don't really think so (I think a little less comfort room but it's a hatch, so)
And I'm not sure if she's trying to trade it in through the cash for clunkers or not. I just saw something about it in the paper this morning and realized that might be why the sudden trade-in
appreciate it guys

as always, fast responses that actually help
yeah I do believe the Prius has less elbow room but it does have more cargo room if you fold down the seats. As for cash for clunkers, her current car needs to be EPA rated less than 18mpg I do believe and have owned it for at least a year. Problem with cash for clunkers is that the gov. is running out of money for it and I believe dealerships are limited to how many they can take.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ej6buddy
Their Euro counterparts are called the Honda Jazz. I'm not sure I would want to own a car with that name, lol.
Jazz? lol, just call it a fit anyway

Quick Reply: prius or camry