The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Octane Booster

With a 9:1 Compression ratio? How does it make any power with such a low CR?

Old 04-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Administrator

you can make power, in theory, with any compression ratio...my motor was rated, stock, at 290hp, with 10.5:1 compression...i am actually below 9 to 1, and hp calculators (take them as you will) put me around 425 bhp / 350-360whp.

and my engine makes lots of power because my dad is an old stock car engine builder...and he has secrets...lol

i will say that while the bottom end is less than stock, and the heads are stock with a mild port and polish, the rest of the stuff in the engine is top of the line, from the carb, to the cams, to the rockers..etc.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

were can you get some of this octane booster. i want to put some in the turbo civic and see what it does and it if makes any difference and then run 93 octane and see if they feel the same . to see if it really works or not

Old 04-26-2006, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

What the secrets? I am intrigued. I have a friend that is running 8.5:1 pistons on a 3000GT. He was gonna get a turbo, but if there was a way to make a good amount of power w/o it maybe that would be a good solution.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Administrator

well, its not so much a secret, as it is just alot of knowledge...it is a tuning issue, combined with the right combination of parts. for one, the engine is 30 over, so its 346 cubic inches...

i run an 800cfm proform race carb, with an edelbrock airgap, which is a GREAT intake manifold for a street/strip car. the heads are a small valve setup, but they are ported and polished, and chopped a bit to achieve what compression that i do have. i run a short reach plug which creates smoother combustion area, but that is something that ive never udnerstood...that is one of his "tricks"..however, when this was done to another car, it didnt help any. i run headers, no cars, msd ignition, electric water pump, manual steering, electric fans...no AC obviously. basically all of the restrictions are gone, like the emissions stuff, and there is nothing running off of the crank pulley, so there is less draw on the engine. it has just been alot of trial and error, as it is a very odd setup, but it gets attention.

we also have to run about 48 degrees advance timing...

and no, im not kidding about that.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

dude you're so kidding. 48*? thats insane.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

nope...when we put it together, we kept playing with the timing until it stopped improving...it varies a bit depending on weather/alt. issues, but it is generally between 47-52.

when i tell people that at the track, they smirk like its a joke, or its going to run liek trash..ive gone so far as to run a 12.6x against someone, then have him go to my garage area and hook up the timing light to show him.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

thats crazy. what engine do you have in that car?

Old 04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
HCF Member

Man SCC just covered a thing about is higher octane fule makes more power or not in their june issue. the main thing about higher octane fuel is detonation threshold and power potential, i higher octane fuel allows for more power to be made but does not make more power itself... i don't want to put the whole article in here cause that would be plagirism.. but the coles notes are pretty much, that if you don't have the proper air to mix with the higher amount of fuel particles it does nothing, it is good for cars with high mileage cause low compression runs better on higher octane cause there is less likely of dtonation cause by heated carbon build up that can make the fuel detonate too soon... i can here it happening in my car right now[]

Old 04-26-2006, 06:14 PM

would it be safe to use on a high mileage engine tho? i've heard a few times that using the fuel system cleaners and the injector cleaners that u put in ur gas tank can actually cause more problems by clogging the lines more since they are old. its like the stuff that its supposed to clean out gets moved and can build up and get clogged and by even worse than before..

Quick Reply: Octane Booster