The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Moped

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:54 PM
HCF Member
Default Moped

Howdy all,

With gas prices going up and up every day. I live only like 2 miles from work and I am looking at getting a moped. It doesn't even pay to fire up the Civic and drive down the road. In listening to the radio this morning, they had a mechanic on and he said the worse than for a car is to drive a couple miles and park it. I get about 100 miles to a half a tank of gas right now.... about 15 miles per gallon.

Anyone know a good place to buy one online? I have seen some on ebay for around a grand and like 275 bucks to ship. I don't want to end up with a piece of crap, but don't wanna spend anymore than I have to.

Any suggestions or tips?

Old 12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Moped

If you are only getting 15 mpg then there is either something wrong with your car or your calculations. I know starting your car and only driving it short distances isn't good for your car but just change the oil every 3k miles and when you start it cold let it idle for at least one min then drive it, don't just start it and go.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

I live only like 2 miles from work and I am looking at getting a moped.
You could really save if you walked or rode a bicycle!

Old 12-19-2007, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

I get better gas mpg in the summer when I drive on the highway. With winter formula gas everyone gets ****ty mpg. It doesn't help that I have a lead foot.

As far as riding a bike or walking to work. I am sorry but I bust my *** at work out in the heat all summer long. I don't need to walk home as I probably walk 3-4 miles a day at work in the summer out in the heat.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:02 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I used to want a moped.

Then I thought of what I would look like riding it :P

Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

Get a proper motorcycle. There are alot of motorcycles that have small engines and are very fuel efficient. The Kawasaki Ninja 250 uses a 250cc engine and gets somewhere in the 70MPG range. Since its a proper motorcycle, you can ride it around on the street safely without having to worry if you have enough power to maintain speed. You can go up to 100MPH on it. Personally I've been up 75 on mine ('94) and I'm pretty sure I could have gone even faster if I wanted to. Furthermore, you won't look foolish on a Ninja 250 as you would on a little dinky moped. The new one (08) looks really nice actually. I would recommend picking up a used one (2000+ year). They can be had for under $2000 used for $3500 brand new. Its probably more than a moped but I think its worth it.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:03 AM
HCF Member

Ive got one for sale.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_521132/tm.htm

Old 12-21-2007, 08:53 PM

You could get a Honda Met or a Honda Ruckus...(both 49cc scooters, both about 4horse power and can do WOT 40mph all day long...80mpg at reasonable speeds and about 130mpg+ at 20mph) Due to being under 50cc you dont need a fully motorcycle license and in some states you can run them without plates or anything...

If you want something really cool and fun to mod, get theRuckus...People are into them the same as Honda Civics...

Ruckus can take a fat back tire and a cool pipe...and its very cheap to run...Pirellis cost 35USD each in this size...

Heres a pic of a clean modded one... Its owned by the owner of Total Ruckus...

PS - DONT get a cheap Chinese scoot !! Stick with a Honda...

Old 12-21-2007, 09:01 PM

The Ruckus is something like 2100 USD new as I recall...or for about 2000-3000USD can you get used Kawasaki KLR 650 dual sport...

The KLR is a lot more versatile vs the scooter, its a serious bike, but okay for beginers too...and fine for the street, if you like these types of bikes...power is about 35+ horse and it can reach near 100mph...these bikes have a great reputation and are very durable...

1999 pictured, they didnt change much over the years...

Old 12-22-2007, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

The Rukus is more than that dude. The Mets are like 2200 new

Quick Reply: Moped