The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Might be selling the mustang in the spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default Might be selling the mustang in the spring

So, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately... I've pretty much finally accepted the fact that, between bills, student loans, and living expenses, I flat-out won't have the money to finish the mustang for quite some time. I've tried cutting things out of the project (solid axle instead of independent rear suspension, twin turbos instead of compound-boost, keep the 5-speed instead of a 6-speed, etc), but I'm still looking at $20k+ to finish it. So basically, I'm giving selling the mustang next spring some serious consideration.

If I go through with it, I'd be getting a sport bike and probably another EG. I'm not going to lie and say the civic would stay stock, but I wouldn't go all-out with it, since there's really no point (FWD and a relatively low power ceiling. A swap would be out of the question for a few years at least). Basically, the civic would get slammed, a few appearance mods, I/H/E, and that's about it.

Basically, here's how I'm looking at getting rid of the mustang:

Pros:
-I have a bike again
-I have a civic again
-I won't be spending as much on my car
-Fuel economy (30+mpg in the civic, ~50mpg on the bike)
-$10 fill-ups on the bike
-Lower cost of maintenance
-If I'd finish the mustang, it would be a heavily modified car. That basically means a ton of problems and high maintenance cost

Cons:
-Insurance would be slightly higher
-I'd miss the mustang

That's what I have so far, anyway. Now, before I sell the mustang, I'd be getting camber/caster plates and getting the car aligned properly, so it'd be another $200 in mods for the mustang, but that's about the only thing I'd be buying for it.

Another idea would be to get a bike and a 240sx, meaning I'd get to stay RWD for about the same cost, but right now I'm just trying to decide if I'm going to be saying good-bye to the mustang or not; I'll worry about what I'll be driving when the time comes.

Any opinions/input?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:12 PM
March 2010 ROTM

I hate 240s. I wouldn't even consider having one....but a 300z is another story. I couldn't justify putting 20k into almost any car. Just roll low and slow for a while in a Civic getting good MPGs and saving money.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Cereal Admin

That's what I'm thinking... I can pick up a 600 for $3,500 and an EG for $1,000. Save what I can for a few months and get coilovers and good struts, slam it, and be happy with it.

And personally, I love S13's. I hate the majority of 240sx drivers, though, but then again they're not much better than the majority of mustang drivers. The biggest reason I want a 240 over a civic is that they're RWD; I have a ton of fun with the mustang being RWD (wet-road drifting), and it's not something I'd like to give up if I can avoid it.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Chubby Chaser

all i gotta say is JUST DO IT/

Old 11-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Well it's not going to happen until march or april; getting rid of my car in favor of a bike right as winter is about to settle in seems a bit retarded, even with KY's mild winter.

But right now it's looking like 95% sell it and 5% keep it. Now that I've finally admitted to myself that the mustang project will never be finished, I've found I'm not as attached to the car... that's not to say I won't miss her, but selling her will be a little easier than selling my ej1 or my cbr was.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o man... here we go again

let her go.... later on in life you can always find another stang thats probably in better condition that you got yours in. thats another PRO for ya.

but i would say go ahead and trade the stang in now for a civic.... rear wheel drive sucks in the winter! one thing im not looking forward to myself.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:28 PM
HCF Member

Gee - thats a hard one. Keep mustang, or get bike back. ..keep mustang.. get bike back..

Duh - bike! I know you'll miss the stang, but I also know you miss curving corners on 2 wheels. Nothing like it. And 240 FTW.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Yeah... right now I'm thinking if I get back into the mustang scene in a couple years, it'll be in a 99/01 cobra and I'll twin-turbo that

Addiction, I have another car I can use when it's impractical to take the mustang (my roommate is also a co-worker, so we carpool. Half of a rent payment and half the gas costs ftmfw!), so I'm not too worried about winter. The biggest reason I'm waiting until spring is because I don't want to have a bike sitting outside mocking me all winter lol

As far as the EG/240 thing, I'm completely undecided. I miss having an EG and there's so much you can do to them, but I love how S13 hatches look, they're RWD, and Nissan swaps are ridiculously cheap and both the SR20DET and CA18DET are factory-turboed and literally bolt right in. Right now I'm leaning towards an S13, but that's subject to change.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ok... carpooling FTW. my old roomate we carpooled... only downfall was i was driving my old 86crx almost every day since he was trying to save money on gas from driving his fullsize truck.LOL
man that car was a beater.LOL but was fun as hell in the snow!
im just wondering how much snow it will take to bottom out my truck and get me stuck.LOL i know its only a matter of inches to get my stuck on some snow in my truck.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

Quit being a panzy and get the bike yes i called you a panzy i ride my bike all year round in mi where if the road is dry i ride! and a civic is way better in the winter than a mustang i drive one i would know

Quick Reply: Might be selling the mustang in the spring