The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

MAC vs. PC

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: MAC vs. PC

yup ur right, most software is made by micosoft and even stuff thats not, most do have windows computers so thats why, the market at the moment is for windows but that is changing.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:43 PM

First of all, I don't own a Dell. I don't know where the hell you got that idea, but I build all my computers. And as for the processor ratings, it's not 2.2x. It's more like 1.4 for P4's and 1.1 for Athlons (NOT Athlon 64's)... And the only reason that's true is the UNIX kernel (NOT the OS). And I'm still trying to explain to you how Mac OS isn't more "user friendly," it's IDIOT PROOF. It's designed so that people who are too computer-illiterate and constantly screw up their Windows machines can sit down and do stuff... albeit simple stuff.

Any time you're doing anything like 3D, video editing, graphics, or media on a Mac, the workflow is about 1/2 to 2/3 as fast (depending on the caliber of worker) because of the ultra-simplistic interface. When you want to have Joe-6-pack sit down and put together a Photoshop composite, you give him a Mac, but if you want an industry professional who needs to be able to WRITE their own plugins and filters on the fly and still get the work done twice as fast, you give him a Windows machine.

And the compatibility thing is just another moot point that you've managed to twist around. On a Mac, there are a list of preinstalled device drivers for a lot of devices, so you plug something in and it connects, whereas Windows has a set of generic drivers preloaded, and then reads driver data from the device itself to set it up. Here's the difference: If you hook up a strange device to a Mac, the only thing it's good for is a paperweight, but with Windows, it'll go find the damn driver for you online... if you know what you're doing. THAT's the bottom line here: you have to know what you're doing, and if you're having that many problems with Windows, you CLEARLY don't. And neither do those people on the lists you have.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:58 PM

Damn. You just got served (Never saw that movie BTW).

Old 03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

its hard getting served when someone is telling you wrong information. No Dude, it is around 2.2. and i never said anywhere that it was because of the os. if you got that impression im sorry, and i thought you said u had a dell. i think u were just stating stats bout dells.either way, ur smart to build ur own because thats the only decent way to have a pc without it failing as much.

and i have never run into a device that wont work on a mac. anything iv put into it works. sorry bud but i do know about windows. Considering my friends and I used to build and fix computers for people and i can promise u that they know more about computers then you do.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:00 PM

Whoa. Jef Raskin died.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:50 PM
HCF Member

oh aand btw. SJ DID test the g5 against the 64 bit

Old 03-10-2005, 01:10 PM

Wow is this debate still going on? It's like a war of attrition, neither side is gaining any ground, so lets make like World War 1 and end it...[sm=shutup.gif]

[sm=goodidea.gif]

[sm=closed.gif]

[sm=innoc.gif]

Old 03-10-2005, 02:05 PM
HCF Member

Impressed as this argument takes place every where Among field techs, network admins, all of the unix ,linux, oracle, web design, commercial design, Network security and laymen at IT Services departments around the globe.

I use both profficiently. My MAC has crashed as well as both my Windows xp based computers. I run 1gig of ram in each I have a power G4 and two built PCs with Pent 4 ht. It is possible on all systems to crash them. And does Best Buy sell MACs? I've never seen one. And according to everyone HERE E-machines are the way to go as it is a Dell subsidiary and highly upgradeable. Good buy Saci.

I believe this IS a hot topic and DCA what happened in the head to head? Just curious.

You both make good arguments you should both work for the parent companies I swear. Just no PR

Old 03-10-2005, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: DCAcivic

oh aand btw. SJ DID test the g5 against the 64 bit
He threw a single first-generation FX-51 in as an afterthought with a dual 2.5 G5 and a P4 3.2. You call that a fair test? That's called rigged marketing. Try a dual FX-55 vs. a dual G5... Jobs wouldn't know what hit him.

And imadj, I know it's not a big deal, but eMachines is actually a Gateway subsidiary, not Dell...

Old 03-10-2005, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

I'll take it to my Field Techs. no big deal though

Quick Reply: MAC vs. PC