The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

MAC vs. PC

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 10:53 AM
HCF Member
Default MAC vs. PC

Alright, so this fight is everywere thats involving computers so i thought to bring it here. Anyone dare to challenge MAC over PC???
Ill fight anyone who wants to tell me windows is better..Give me time tho. no internet at home

Old 02-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Default RE: MAC vs. PC

I like PC's, but I've never owned a Mac. They're too expensive.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Cat Fuсker

Back in the days when I was still doing 3-D animation(damn I feel old), I had a MAC and a PC rendering the same scene. Well MAC was generally faster and it didn't crash in the middle of an unsaved scene.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:52 PM
HCF Member

I use pc because im more familiar with it. Back in the day right when windows first came out.. it kind toward mac for a litle bit, and thus all the schools used them.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:41 PM

Ok, here's possibly the most accurate philosophy ever presented on the subject (put forth a while ago by a friend of mine, who uses both Macs and Windows machines).

First of all, they're all PC's... people need to learn that.

"Most, if not all, computer issues are directly related to their owners' knowledge of computing systems. You could get a chimp to drive the safest car in the world too fast, and every time he'd die. Some people are just not good at the computing game. That's why people are drawn to owning a Mac; they simply don't understand the way software works enough to be able to prevent Windows from having problems (and not be stupid about it).

For those of us who love and understand computers, our PC's run right down the line as they are supposed to. The Mac camp are more inclined to care less how it works as long as it allows them to do things with minimal hassle. They are both outstanding devices with different temprements designed for different ways of looking at computing.

The bashing is therefore either pointless or sarcastic jabs and pokes for fun.... or should be."

The reason there are many more viruses, bugs, and "bad computer" things related to Windows is that the code is much simpler, and had been broken many many times. This means that just about anyone with basic programming knowledge can go **** **** up. Also, the most important system files on a Windows machine are readily available, so any jackass can go mess them up by accident because they don't know what they're doing. Mostly, I'm talking to you Mac users who seem to be able to tank any Windows machine just by touching it, and then go around blaming this on Windows. The Mac OS is childproofed against people like you, giving you a false, or at least shortlived, sense of security. Mac OS is built on UNIX, which is arguably the most stable and secure platform in existence. If there were even close to as many Mac users as there are PC users, the Mac OS source code would be broken VERY quickly, and the whole "Mac = Security" thing (though it's really not true to being with) would go out the window.

So, going back to the ORIGINAL question: it's not that Windows or OS is better in any real sense; it's just that Windows is built to be a million times more flexible based on what the user wants out of the computer, not what the manufacturer wants the computer to be able to do.

And as for the speed debate, there's a damn good reason Steve Jobs is afraid of testing his G5's against AMD-64 FX processors...

Old 02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
HCF Member

yes i know that they are all PC's but most people dont..thats why i said who wants to say windows is better.

yes. part of the reason that windows have more issues is because most hackers dont know mac code like u said, however, windows is also much more easy to break into. and mac OS's are much much more user friendly and felixible then windows. and yes..mac os's are better because the whole opperating system in general is more stable. iv never seen a "blue screen of death" on a mac. macs only get chooked up when they have low memory just lke any comp. give a mac 512mb of mem. and have fun tryin to crash it. not only that..but on every mac i know of..i can sit and open bunched of programs at once without it crashing. windows dies after the 2nd program. the windows os's are not friendly at all. a mac with airport can walk into a room and pick up a wireless without any fight. Many windows units have u fill out # and such that most people dont even understand. not only that, but u can plug any type of device into a mac and have it come right up without installing or searching, windows freeks out have the with anything not "properly" installed. The software alone is behind on windows which is why such things like itunes and ichat are taking over. iexplorer is a horribly unstable web browser while safari(which is a beta version) and isnt even finished runs much faster. All Mac programs alone run with much less memory which makes ur computer run better. Windows is behind on their os's as it is, but come march they will be behind 2 OS's. there new OS(windows longhorn), even has funcitons taken from panther(OSX) and the general set up of longhorn is just like panther. Longhorn wont be out till god knows when and Tiger(new mac os) will be out in march crushing any windows os out there in any topic u want to choose.

about the amd-64....for one hes not scared to test the g5...and 2, AMD creates the hottest running processers out there. If you run that compurter for any lenght of time that processor is going to freeze up like no other and soon enough burn up...thats after u spend counltess hours and time going through mother boards and processors trying to get them to connect considering AMD 50% of the time AMD processors and motherboards wont comply with each other.

you can try to rag on SJ all you want but last time i checked, he didnt have his OS crash on him during an expo like gates did.

"i would like to introduce...aw **** it crashed..Windows 2000 everyone.."

BTW I have worked with both PC and Mac.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:00 PM

EDIT: Sorry for being so long-winded, but you asked for it

ORIGINAL: DCAcivic

mac OS's are much much more user friendly and felixible then windows. and yes..mac os's are better because the whole opperating system in general is more stable. iv never seen a "blue screen of death" on a mac. macs only get chooked up when they have low memory just lke any comp. give a mac 512mb of mem. and have fun tryin to crash it. not only that..but on every mac i know of..i can sit and open bunched of programs at once without it crashing. windows dies after the 2nd program. the windows os's are not friendly at all. a mac with airport can walk into a room and pick up a wireless without any fight. Many windows units have u fill out # and such that most people dont even understand. not only that, but u can plug any type of device into a mac and have it come right up without installing or searching, windows freeks out have the with anything not "properly" installed.
Everything in this paragraph is more related to your knowledge of Windows than it is to the stability and content of the system itself, and much of it is grossly generalized. IF YOU KNOW HOW to run a Windows machine, you will have zero problems... yes, ZERO. I've never seen a BSOD on one of my computers, or any other computer I've worked with, because I know Windows... that includes computers I've run with 98, 2000, and XP. I run 3ds max, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, ACID 5, and ProCoder 2 simultaneously all the time, NO PROBLEMS; my wireless never misses a network; the PnP interface on Windows puts OS to shame. Like I said before, Mac OS is built to be idiot-proof, not invincible, which makes it incredibly inflexible. Put a UNIX programmer with any knowledge in front of it, and he can bring it to its knees just as easy as Windows.

The software alone is behind on windows which is why such things like itunes and ichat are taking over. iexplorer is a horribly unstable web browser while safari(which is a beta version) and isnt even finished runs much faster.
Unfortunately, this is also horribly ignorant. iTunes is one of the biggest resource-hogging programs in existence for what it can do; WinAmp is waaaaay ahead of it (faster, lower resources/CPU usage, smaller... the list goes on). And iChat taking over? I've never even heard of ****ing iChat, and I've never seen any Mac user using it. I'm not going to argue with you that IE is unstable, but at least if it crashes, it doesn't take the rest of your OS with it... and there are other options, so that's hardly a good argument. All of the i-programs are just more Apple marketing plans to make people think they're "ahead of the cut..." In reality, they're all pretty sad.

All Mac programs alone run with much less memory which makes ur computer run better. Windows is behind on their os's as it is, but come march they will be behind 2 OS's. there new OS(windows longhorn), even has funcitons taken from panther(OSX) and the general set up of longhorn is just like panther. Longhorn wont be out till god knows when and Tiger(new mac os) will be out in march crushing any windows os out there in any topic u want to choose.
you can try to rag on SJ all you want but last time i checked, he didnt have his OS crash on him during an expo like gates did.
All I can say to this is, 64-bit Windows, baby. And all this talk about OS superiority just helps Mac users can sleep at night. Apple doesn't deserve jack **** worth of credit for anything involving their OS. They didn't invent UNIX, they just built a very limited, flowery GUI around it that the computer-illiterate love to use.

about the amd-64....for one hes not scared to test the g5...
Then why doesn't he? A dual FX system will walk over a dual G5 for days.

AMD creates the hottest running processers out there. If you run that compurter for any lenght of time that processor is going to freeze up like no other and soon enough burn up...thats after u spend counltess hours and time going through mother boards and processors trying to get them to connect considering AMD 50% of the time AMD processors and motherboards wont comply with each other.
Yeah, this is all complete BS. [sm=bs.gif] If you say the processor will burn up, then why hasn't my school's 25 CPU 3ds max renderfarm burned up yet? Yeah, 25 AMD-64's in a big tower rack... running around the clock with not a single problem... Oh, and my desktop render station... yeah, I run an AMD 64 FX in that too, and I've rendered sequences that take DAYS of straight operation to complete with NOT A PROBLEM... If you know anything about 3D rendering, it is 100% CPU-dependent, and nothing can even touch a 64. I don't know where you come up with all this stuff, but it's completely untrue.

BTW I have worked with both PC and Mac.
...and it's clear you should never be allowed near Windows ever again.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Like Kaps said, if you know how to use Windows, it can work flawlessly. Right now I'm on a Dell Dimension with a Pentium 3, 128mb RAM, and I'm running Photoshop, Dreamweaver, multiple Firefox's, and AIM, (not to mention all of the antivirus and auto updating software running in the background) and it is running like a gem. Plus, us Windows users have money left over after we buy our computers (which is why I have 3).

Old 02-25-2005, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

wow, i wish i knew enough about computers to argue. i like to argue.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

uh..i deff. know how to work windows considering i was using windows up till about a year ago.

if itunes is such a bad program, then why is it so popular. yes winamp is a great program but itunes uses just as little resorces as winamp and is much more easy to use and has much more featurs.

yes AMD makes the hottest running processor, and i dont know how you can say that apple doesnt deserv **** when PC wouldnt be anywere without apple for one. 2, if u honestly thing that MAC OS's arnt way ahead of the game, ur really ignorant. by just looking at Screen shots of Longhorn u can clearly see that they art trying to catch up to Panther.

and if u really wannt cry about money issues, i got 2 words for u, MAC Mini.

and the only reason u think mac systems cost so much is because u only look at systems like the laptops or the g5s, wich stomp on all of Dell,HP whatevers "higher systems". systems like the mac mini or imac or emac arnt that much. im sorry if ur upset that apple doesnt make a bunch of cheap systems that get u confused into buying a pos.

Quick Reply: MAC vs. PC