The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Import Tuner mag test

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:00 PM
HCF Member
Default Import Tuner mag test

I was reading the latest Import Tuner and noticed they did a simple bolt-on mod story for a new WRX.

some say civics don't respond well to bolt-ons, but WRXs definitely do.

they installed a K&N Air filter (30 minute install), turbo-back exhaust (90 minutes) and ignition amplifier (60 minutes) onto an otherwise stock drivetrain (the turbo and ecu chip were untouched) for $1600.

and the car had net gains of roughly 30 horsepower and 30 lb/ft of torque -- or 245 wheel horsepower and 240 wheel torque after dyno run.

btw, an ecu chip reflash would probably cost another $50 to $100 bucks and add to the bottom line a lot.

man, i shoulda kept my WRX...

One more thing, the issue also had a race-prepped 99 si that was PIMPED out and a 700 horsepower skyline in it. I highly recommend this month's issue.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Import Tuner mag test

nice..im going to have to take a trip to the local book store and check it out, there are alot of cars that respond really well to bolt ons, i was watching dream car garage this morning and they did a borla cat back exhust and a intake on a G35 and i think it made 30 or somthing like that as well, i forget ..but apparintly they respond really will to bolt ons, alot of cars with lots of power stock i hear this about

Old 06-24-2006, 10:11 PM
HCF Member

i think high horsepower cars respond better to bolt-ons because their engines are held back at the factory due to pollution regulations.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:01 AM
HCF Member

I doubt a WRX makes 210ish whp stock, more like around 180 to 185 to the wheels. The STi"s only make around 235 to 240whp stock and they are rated 70hp higher than the wrx. That AWD drive terrain loss is a pain.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:42 AM
HCF Member

WRXs come with a claimed 230 horsepower straight from the factory under the new, more stringent SAE testing procedures.

Import Tuner's initial dyno run showed a baseline 214.1 wheel horsepower rating before any modifications.

where's the drivetrain loss you ask?

well, honda claims the new civic EX engines only has 140 horsepower, but a videotaped dyno run showed the new civic gets 132+ horsepower at the wheel.

the dyno technician said the new civics are actually making closer to 150 to 155 horsepower at the crank.

how is that? because manufacturers are lowballing their horsepower figures now.

why?

because the SAE now has a 4 hour engine certification process that requires an actual SAE certified scientist to sit in on manufacturer dyno runs. before a manufacturer could just submit horsepower claims.

who's the biggest lowballer? It might be the Dodge SRT division.

the previous SRT4 neon was claimed to have 220 bhp straight from the factory, but a dyno run by Road & Track showed it had over 220 horsepower at the wheels. When asked how that was the case, the SRT engineers laughed and said they lowballed the horsepower figures for insurance reasons...

btw, the first WRXs had a 2.0 liter engine that made 227 bhp under the old SAE testing procedures. this year's WRX gets a new 2.5 liter engine and only "3" additional horsepower at "230" bhp. now if an engine increases a half a liter, don't you think the engine output would increase more than 3 horsepower?

Old 06-25-2006, 04:58 AM

maybe i should go by this months issue, i have baught the last 4 i think, i liked the 240sx on the cover of the issue a few months back!!!

and the teggy in last months was beautiful!!!

Old 06-25-2006, 01:06 PM
HCF Member

I am in noway calling you a liar but I have yet to see a WRX pull anywhere over 185ish whp in stock form and yes that includes the new 2.5 equiped 230hp rated ones.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

no offense taken.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:45 PM

i have that issue, did you check out the article on the DIY alighnment? i might try it

Old 06-26-2006, 06:12 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

My Finacee is looking at picking up a 2.5RS this fall. Byers, since you seem to know alot about Sub's, do you know whether or not you can get a 2.5RS with TipTronic?

Quick Reply: Import Tuner mag test