The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

I hate mechanics in my area

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I hate mechanics in my area

true enough..i bring my car into midas or somewere like that if there having a special on just so they can check out my car and tell me if anything is wrong....my distabution cap,rotor,and rear brake wheel cyclinder...(cap and rotor are fine) so now ill fix the problem my self that will cost me about $100 and some good experience instead of $550 for them to do it, when i see them poking around my car i get so nervious i just stand in the window and watch them, there is only 1 macanic around here thats amazing..hes a 65 year old guy that works by himself and does a dam good job, he will give the honist opinion..my dad had something wrong with his truck that was going to cost him like $1000, and the guy told him its not worth it...wile a other mechanic will say "show me the money!"...he does great work and if i ever have a problem i can go ask him what he thinks

Old 11-25-2005, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

I was hoping that when i moved into my new house that someone that lived around me would be an experianced car guy that i can learn from but as far as i know none of my neighbors are car guys. And from what i've heard its hard to find an honest mechanic these days.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Cat Fuсker

Yeah...I did get a new headgasket...and I did get it raplaced by them for free again after it blew....beacause the idiot didn't torque the head back on right...

Old 11-25-2005, 09:26 PM
HCF Member

How did u know he didn't torque the head back on?

Old 11-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Cat Fuсker

I assume that's what he did. There's no other way to mess up a new gasket...

Old 11-26-2005, 12:26 AM
HCF Member

what if he didnt scrape the old one off completly.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

Like I posted awallago... I always get my cars back with more problems than when I took them in. I just had my struts replaced and not only did they put the rear bushings/mounts back in wrong(NICE clunking noise till the shock tower pushed into the trunk)(Thanks to tirerack for accidentally sending another set of bushings) But now my front left shock is making the same noise only it does it when the tire drops out of the wheel well and not under rebound! ARGH!!! I can do jeeps so now I'll have to start doing Honda's! LOL GOOD LUCK to ya!! I have a good relationship with these mechanics, they tow for my department and we eat together at least once a week!! HA HA So much for tha workmanship and the trust!!

Old 11-26-2005, 06:22 PM

im under my hood almost as much as im in the car.

i dont know to much about cars, but thats how i learn. taking **** apart and putting them back together. i gain a good idea of whats what. and i remmeber stuff like, what looks like **** and what doesnt. mechanics everywhere are more corupt than a used car salesman... that should be enough said.